substrate/hides

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I am currently using the zoomed forest floor coconut fiber for substrate for my RF. Should I be mixing in some of the coconut fiber dirt type with it? Also how much should I have in an 8x4? I have about 2 inches on the floor right now guessing. Anything else I should have in there as far as substrate goes?
As far as a hide goes, should I have that on the warmer end or the cooler end? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you don't need to mix anything in.
How old and big is your tort?
What is the temp of the cold end and the warmer end?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I am currently using the zoomed forest floor coconut fiber for substrate for my RF. Should I be mixing in some of the coconut fiber dirt type with it? Also how much should I have in an 8x4? I have about 2 inches on the floor right now guessing. Anything else I should have in there as far as substrate goes?
As far as a hide goes, should I have that on the warmer end or the cooler end? Thanks
The best substrate for RFs is fine grade orchid bark. RFs are susceptible to shell rot when kept too wet too much of the time. A nice 3-4 inch layer of orchid bark allows you to keep the bottom layers damp for humidity, and the upper layer will remain dry-is to prevent shell rot.

There shouldn't be a warm side and a cool side in a RF enclosure. The whole thing should be 82-86 all the time. No need for a basking spot. The hide can go anywhere that is convenient for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A good Redfoot hide is a large clay flowerpot laying sideways and partially buried or a half of a flower pot laying on the surface of the substrate. This way its not up very high and presents a little less of a flip over obstacle and the clay pot won't get moldy in that humidity like wood or cardboard, etc

navycop2004

Oregon
No, you don't need to mix anything in.
How old and big is your tort?
What is the temp of the cold end and the warmer end?
I am not sure how old she is, I think 5 maybe? Roughly 10-12 inches, the warm end ranges between 75-80 degrees and i am not sure about the cooler end, in the mid to low 70s

navycop2004

Oregon
The best substrate for RFs is fine grade orchid bark. RFs are susceptible to shell rot when kept too wet too much of the time. A nice 3-4 inch layer of orchid bark allows you to keep the bottom layers damp for humidity, and the upper layer will remain dry-is to prevent shell rot.

There shouldn't be a warm side and a cool side in a RF enclosure. The whole thing should be 82-86 all the time. No need for a basking spot. The hide can go anywhere that is convenient for you.
I will change the heating then, it is hard to know these days. I have had many people say there needs to be a cooler spot she can go to escape the heat but have also heard people say what you have just said about the heat. this This is what I am using currently, but I also bought this stuff to mix in and elevate her hiding area a bit more, as someone advised I do.

Attachments

• eco earth.jpg
    eco earth.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1
  • forest floor.jpg
    forest floor.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am not sure how old she is, I think 5 maybe? Roughly 10-12 inches, the warm end ranges between 75-80 degrees and i am not sure about the cooler end, in the mid to low 70s
That is much too cool for a RF.

I will change the heating then, it is hard to know these days. I have had many people say there needs to be a cooler spot she can go to escape the heat but have also heard people say what you have just said about the heat. this This is what I am using currently, but I also bought this stuff to mix in and elevate her hiding area a bit more, as someone advised I do.
Neither of those are bad substrates, but I don't like them for RFs because of their tendency toward shell rot. I find the orchid bark works better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She needs a bigger enclosure. 4x8 is minimum for a Russian adult not RF.
If you pour warm water into the corner it will dampen the bottom layer keeping the top dryer. Putting orchid bark of the substrate you are using now will work too.