Sulcata Algae

Vipetsksa

Location (City and/or State)
Jeddah
Hi Everyone! My beautiful female sulcata loves to spend a lot of time in the pond and she’s started to turn green! ? Even though it looks pretty cool I wanted to make sure it’s not harmful for her or can cause any problems!
Thank you

473E44AC-3CA3-4540-B167-6B584D9291AC.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only thing to worry about would be shell rot on the plastron. Sulcatas aren't prone to shell rot, but because he's spending that amount of time in the water, it might be something to check from time to time.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like you are feeding your Sully tender new Acacia tree growth? Not sure if thats it?

As far as the algae, i would think you might want to just take a soft brush & give him a good cleaning and remove all that algae. can’t be too good to have “slimy” growing algae on a tortoise’s shell.

Vipetsksa

Jeddah
Looks like you are feeding your Sully tender new Acacia tree growth? Not sure if thats it?

As far as the algae, i would think you might want to just take a soft brush & give him a good cleaning and remove all that algae. can’t be too good to have “slimy” growing algae on a tortoise’s shell.

I think it’s some kind of Mimosa or Coffeebush, usuall if my guinea pigs eat it I assume it’s ok for the Sulcatas! It’s in the Leguminosae family. I did brush some of the algae off and thank you for your feedback!

Vipetsksa

Jeddah
The only thing to worry about would be shell rot on the plastron. Sulcatas aren't prone to shell rot, but because he's spending that amount of time in the water, it might be something to check from time to time.

Thank you will keep an eye out for that and I removed some of the algae with a brush and vegetable soap ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yeah I guess just watch out for shell rot. Also yeah that is a mimosa, there are tons of it on our property.