Sulcata noises

RachaelnRoxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, N.C.
Hi, I'm Rachael and I have an arrival Sulcata named Jet. I think she's about 6 years old, I got her when she was about 2yo. Today she started making noises. I do NOT think she has any respitory issues. I got the noise on video and even though it is only 10 seconds long, it keeps telling me its too lagre to add the video to this post. I will gladly text or email the video to anyone that thinks they can help us. My exotic vet is off this entire week, so I'm kinda freaking out. I love my girl so much. Please help us.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Rachael, I would love to help you, but need more information. Sulcata do make some unusual sounds that are not related to illnesses. Are there any other symptoms that indicate a health problem? A runny nose, for instance. Or, not eating for several days or inactive when they are usually active? Sorry I can't help you load the video. Maybe someone else will come along and tell us both how best to do that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi. Try uploading your video first to YouTube, then attach the URL here. I'm pretty sure thst this forum doesnt permit audio only formstted files. The YouTube URL will work.

RachaelnRoxy

5 Year Member
Charlotte, N.C.
No runny nose, eating normal, and normal activity level. She has a DR. Appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:30. She's never been to a vet so I figured, even if nothing is wrong with her, I will have a baseline of her health to measure from in the future.

RachaelnRoxy

5 Year Member
Charlotte, N.C.
Hi. Try uploading your video first to YouTube, then attach the URL here. I'm pretty sure thst this forum doesnt permit audio only formstted files. The YouTube URL will work.
I'll try that. You guys gotta hear this, it's so strange!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No runny nose, eating normal, and normal activity level. She has a DR. Appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:30. She's never been to a vet so I figured, even if nothing is wrong with her, I will have a baseline of her health to measure from in the future.

Try looking into the nares with a flashlight. See if there is any sort of obstruction in there.

If you go to the vet, don't let the vet inject any Baytril, or any "vitamin" injections. Both of these are standard practice with vets that don't know tortoises, and both are really bad. If they recommend this politely refuse, and realize you need to find a different vet.

RachaelnRoxy

5 Year Member
Charlotte, N.C.
I have read bad things about baytril. I really don't like giving my pets any injections, so I'm with you. Thank you. This exotic vet specializes in birds and turtles, but has been referred to as the Dalai Lama of vets. She only had one available appointment. Apparently everyone loves her. I'll be the judge of that though! I'll be sure to update everyone tomorrow. I felt so scared and alone today but this forum and Bill have been lifesavers for me. I'm so thankful to everyone. Turtle people are the best people!