Sulcata sleeping

EzravH

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this, so i'll just do it here.
My sulcata stays for a long time in his 'burrow' and only comes out to eat and sometimes drink for about 10-15 min. and then he goes back to his burrow to sleep.
He is a little one and first i thought that the babies do this more, because they need to grow but he does this for about two weeks now.

I think the heat couldn't be an issue, because i got a 100w solar reptor heat/uv combined lamp.

Thanks in advance

EzravH

I do not know the cage temperature, since i don't have any thermometer haha but it is quite hot in there.
I got my sulcata in an old aquarium. I'm currently building a larger enclosure of wood so that the temp can be maintained easier.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
temps are very important they determine how reptiles function cause there cold blooded. sulcatas can only properly digest food at temps 85+. you really need to know the temps. the cage size is way to small this can stress out the tort. what is the cage humidity? how often do you soak him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do not know the cage temperature, since i don't have any thermometer haha but it is quite hot in there.

You are making a huge mistake there. You need to go get a thermometer ASAP. This is a matter of life and death for your tortoise. Literally.

Please read these threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

EzravH

Thanks for the answers.

This enclosure is only temporary, i'm working on a bigger cage.
I'll get a thermometer tomorrow.
I soak him two times a week and i also have water available for him at all times.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member

EzravH

I just put a normal thermometer from outside in the enclosure and the temp under the basking spot itself is now at 48 degrees celsius, which is about 115 fahrenheit. I've read on the forum that 100 degrees fahrenheit is the max under the basking spot, so i'll have to get my lamp further away from the basking spot, right? Could this also be the problem for him hiding away?
I could not measure the humidity, since i do not have a hygrometer.

In the article care sheet that you just linked here i saw a topic with the name Humid hide boxes.
I currently just have the bark as shown on the picture. Should i make it moister underneath the bark, because i did not fully understand what's said there.

Thank you :)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I just put a normal thermometer from outside in the enclosure and the temp under the basking spot itself is now at 48 degrees celsius, which is about 115 fahrenheit. I've read on the forum that 100 degrees fahrenheit is the max under the basking spot, so i'll have to get my lamp further away from the basking spot, right? Could this also be the problem for him hiding away?
I could not measure the humidity, since i do not have a hygrometer.

In the article care sheet that you just linked here i saw a topic with the name Humid hide boxes.
I currently just have the bark as shown on the picture. Should i make it moister underneath the bark, because i did not fully understand what's said there.

Thank you :)
in the wild if its to hot they go into there burrowsand wait till it cools down. the temps should be lowered. how big will the new enclosure be?

EzravH

I got the temp at the basking spot down to 39 degrees celsius (102 fahrenheit) now.

Should i pour some water in the repti bark under the bark where he sleeps to raise the humidity?