Sulcata tortoise

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new to the community,everyone calls me kat,I have a 12 yr old sulcata she's beautiful.she walk around town with me for hrs ,I really think she thinks she's a dog,she climbs into our laps to be rocked in the chair she will also scratches on fridge or back door to go walking. ...she's completely spoiled rotten am looking to find her a friend. .possibly a male. ..so if you hear about one up for adoption let me know please. Glad to join the community. ..thank s...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kat:

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think its a good idea to get another tortoise to share space with your existing tortoise. Things and your tortoise will never be the same. They are territorial and solitary. Once another tortoise is there she will no longer be the "pet" she is now. Believe me, she's not lonesome. She's quite happy being the only tortoise in her space.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I totally agree with Yvonne. What would be a nice gift for your tortoise is an outside enclosure for the warm months.

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice,she has awesome yard that fenced in ,she really enjoys her walks she has her favorite neighbors with treats of flowers or clover patches just for her she's won over grocery store and local farmers so she's well feed and loved ,she also has play dates with her brother and my daughter tortoise she's lonely when we come home so that's why I was considering adding on...

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
What makes you think she's lonely? She sounds like she's got it made.

A male sulcata in her house will stress your tort out out terribly and try to mate her constantly, making her much more shy and potentially even killing her. Not to mention that you will have babies on your hands to care for in large numbers.

I'd let your personable sully continue to enjoy her happy-sounding life and not mess with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Usually I am the first person to pee on the "get my tort a friend" parade. Its obvious you mean well, but those of us advising you here have seen the damage that can be done when a male sulcata is with a lone female. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but it really is a living hell for the female. The males are just relentless and not nice or gentle about it at all.

Enough parade peeing... Lets see some pics of your big girl!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well said Tom. Welcome Kat ! You are only two post in and broke the rules ! Man ole man the most important rule to PICTURES ! :dodgy: HAHAHA Just kidding you will fit in just fine Kat .

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Babey playing

1385168179902.jpg1385168205503.jpg1385168235640.jpg1385168250199.jpg1385168265169.jpg1385168287141.jpg

Attachments

• 1385168067273.jpg
    1385168067273.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 54
  • 1385168086727.jpg
    1385168086727.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1385168100634.jpg
    1385168100634.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
At first, when reading this I thought maybe it was a bit exaggerated. But, your tortoise is totally climbing in the gentleman's lap! That's awesome. Glad your girl has such a loving home.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Your sullie looks very sweet welcome!

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Re: Sulcata tortoise to

Thanks and she amazes me every day I've never seen a tort so affectionate and seeking it out .She will answer to her name no matter where she is. When we walk she s by my side the whole way and she gets her own salad special made for her at Mcdonald s I swear she knows where it is. .. lol she's very loved by everyone she meets and I'm able to take her with me almost every where she rides in the jeep like a champ..and loves going anywhere .Thanks for the advice and the welcome from everyone. ..

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
That lap climbing photo is amazing! You weren't kidding -- she really is like a dog. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm hoping at least one of my 3 torts will be like that when they are her size * fingers crossed*

tibbytort7

5 Year Member
Welcome. I cant wait till my Kobe is that big. He is getting over a respiratory infection right now so fingers crossed!

katsbabey

5 Year Member
She has full access to the house during the day she has tables for night at 3 houses .I literally have her involved in everything during the day just like a dog believe me it's not as fun as it sounds she has taught me turt proof house is twice as hard than child proofing is.i came home to find all of her nails were blue so much I had thought one of my kids had painting them but I got further into the office and the wall was gone all the way to the lattice boards I had left the window open and she wanted out side. Now if you want them like this she literally has to be involved like a child she just doesn't respond to no or stop but we are getting closer on that but I've told my children if u have a pet it's yours it goes everywhere possible with u . I recently had to hire a tort sitter for 3 days I didn't do one thing that she couldn't of done with me. ..This is her tonight giving bedtime kisses. ..lol..This is my man Jim. If he doesn't pay attention to her she will bark almost a growl at him and bites his boots. She only acts like this with him. .I've only herd this once she tipped over. . 1385176663429.jpg1385176691484.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarlo08

5 Year Member
New York
She is so precious!!! I often see videos of tortoises being affectionate...mine are definitely not! What gives?? Is there a certain age where they are more responsive or something? Recently I've been able to get Yertle's attention when I say his name softly, but otherwise they both "hide away" when I approach them (even slowly!)...I just want them to love meeee hahaha Any input?

katsbabey

5 Year Member
I started by laying in the floor with her and getting her use to my touch massaging her into her shoulder s and hips thought that was the most important in case something happened she'll allow my touch know s I'll make it better and mostly feed her by hand trust is most important thing I don't treat her like a tort she is truly a family member and she acts accordingly the only time she is on her own is if I'm working or bedtime sometime s she sleep at the end of the bed but even working I have people tend to her or take her walking ..just give them love and compassion