Sultanate Feeding - Fertilizing Feeder Plants

tortsMcGee

Location (City and/or State)
DFW
Hi, all!

We have a 8 YR old sulcata who is is pretty good health right now. He mainly eats grass/weeds, we supplement his grazing with timothy hay and various (Tortoise Table approved) grocery produce, but we are trying to transition to growing this supplemental stuff. We have a potted hibiscus plant, its doing well but I think its time to start fertilizing.

My concern is that the excess nutrients may pass from the flower to the tortoise. Do any of you have any guidance on how to safely fertilize?

Thank you,
-TortsMcGee

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi, all!

We have a 8 YR old sulcata who is is pretty good health right now. He mainly eats grass/weeds, we supplement his grazing with timothy hay and various (Tortoise Table approved) grocery produce, but we are trying to transition to growing this supplemental stuff. We have a potted hibiscus plant, its doing well but I think its time to start fertilizing.

My concern is that the excess nutrients may pass from the flower to the tortoise. Do any of you have any guidance on how to safely fertilize?

Thank you,
-TortsMcGee

Welcome to the Forum. I’m pretty sure that this topic has been covered many many times. That said, from my understanding fertilizers like general purpose Miracle Grow (15-15-15) present no problem & they don’t linger in the bloom. The fertilizers give your plant energy to produce healthy roots, stems & leaves….that eventually produce nice healthy & safe flowers.

What you really want to stay away from are plants/blooms right from a nursery or big box store that are sprayed & dosed with all kinds of fungicides, herbicides and pesticides to kill all bugs and nasty things. These plants & flowers are a big no no to feed for a long time.

If you have your own hibiscus, rose of sharon and other flowering plants that are free of nasty pesticides you can give them applications of fertilizers that will encourage blooms. The ferts are used up by the plant & don’t end up in the blossoms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, all!

Thank you,
-TortsMcGee
Regular fertilizers that don't have other additives in them are fine to use to grow tortoise food. Just don't ever let the tortoise have direct access to the fertilizer product.

Welcome to the forum! Check this out: