1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Supplies for New Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Tortle101, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Tortle101

Tortle101 New Member

I'm currently building a enclosure for a Russian Tortoise (That I have not gotten yet) and I am in need of some recommendations for lighting/heating, type of substrate etc.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Take a look at the Russian tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian section. I'm pretty sure it tells you what you'll need.
  3. Gillian M

Gillian M Well-Known Member

Jordan
    A very warm warm welcome to the forum.

As was mentined, the care sheets will help you here. Please do not forget to post pics, once the enclosure is ready AND once you get the tort.
    Good luck.
  4. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Fes, Morocco
    People generally recommend a mercury vapour bulb that gives you light, heat and uvb requirements in one.
    Don't use the coiled/compact types as they are sometimes bad for your torts eyes or don't produce enough UVB.
    Some people use strip uvb lights as their choice.
    Coco coir is a very popular substrate but orchid bark and cypress mulch are also often used as is safe non herbicide treated top soil or garden earth, if you're completely sure it's safe and it doesn't contain too much sand.
    Have a look at the care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ for lots more useful advice.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  5. Careym13

Careym13 Well-Known Member

Northern Virginia
    I purchased a Powersun MVB bulb in January and it has been great. They are pricey but it has been worth it to me.