SWOLLEN TORTOISE EYES..

Tinytony

Location (City and/or State)
Eccles
I have had my Russian tortoise for a year now I got him from a friend so he’s actually 2 … his eyes have been swollen like this since I got him. I can’t find any reptile vets where I live and his eyes haven’t improved.

He is stil eating and is active when he’s outside.
But when in his house he likes to burrow and just sleep.

He eats dandelion picked from my garden and sometimes spring greens.

I use top soil for his bedding.

What could be causing his eyes to be constantly swollen like this?

Attachments

• 50BD50A9-F8B9-4E73-BDFC-0CEBCBAED42C.jpeg
    50BD50A9-F8B9-4E73-BDFC-0CEBCBAED42C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • A6952088-FFD3-45DB-A912-5CBA09DE03A9.jpeg
    A6952088-FFD3-45DB-A912-5CBA09DE03A9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 6812A177-1943-447D-A3EC-EBAF2450BB5F.jpeg
    6812A177-1943-447D-A3EC-EBAF2450BB5F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • CCE76308-5A95-4690-8879-59944C0B51FD.jpeg
    CCE76308-5A95-4690-8879-59944C0B51FD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
There are a number of issues that could be causing this; swollen eyelids are all signs of possible illness and/or vitamin deficiency. A tortoise whose eyes are swollen shut might also have an infection or ear abscess. I would consider it vital to locate a vet who is an experienced herpetologist, and refer the matter to them URGENTLY.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What lamps and substrate are you using? Do you soak him in shallow luke warm water regularly?

I don't know if you found this caresheet when you joined but this will help you check his diet and living conditions so that you can make any changes needed.
If you post a picture of the whole of his enclosure members can see if there's anything that could be affecting his eyes.
I'll tag some people who may be able to recommended some cream you can apply
@Yvonne G @Tom @zovick

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a bunch more info. All of his housing, lighting used, heating used, substrate, humidity, diet, soaking etc.
In the mean time soak him in warm water that has baby food pureed carrots in it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Swollen shut eyes are usually caused by vitamin A deficiency, but could also be from the type of light you're using.

Buy some soothing eye ointment, like Vetericyn, and rub it on his eyelids a couple times a day. But in the meantime, give us the info Wellington has requested.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
tortoise looks very dry, in pain, and swollen. You need to start soaking this tortoise in warm water (if not doing so already) and make sure you are feeding it plenty of weeds, flowers, greens only. no fruit. make sure you know the temps in the enclosure so that it is not too dry in there. Younger torts need a good amount of humidity for proper shell growth. Please make these corrections. you can go buy reptimed eye drops and get a q tip and try putting the ointment on his eyes. the ointment contains vitamins that may help. Make sure you give the tortoise fresh water, food, remove feces, and fresh substrate every few months if you do not clean out urates, poop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortoise looks very dry, in pain, and swollen. You need to start soaking this tortoise in warm water (if not doing so already) and make sure you are feeding it plenty of weeds, flowers, greens only. no fruit. make sure you know the temps in the enclosure so that it is not too dry in there. Younger torts need a good amount of humidity for proper shell growth. Please make these corrections. you can go buy reptimed eye drops and get a q tip and try putting the ointment on his eyes. the ointment contains vitamins that may help. Make sure you give the tortoise fresh water, food, remove feces, and fresh substrate every few months if you do not clean out urates, poop.
In case you read the above the wrong way.
Only the new substrate every few months if you don't spot clean daily. The fresh water and food is daily and should remove poop daily. Then substrate don't need to be changed for quite some time.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
In case you read the above the wrong way.
Only the new substrate every few months if you don't spot clean daily. The fresh water and food is daily and should remove poop daily. Then substrate don't need to be changed for quite some time.
I didn’t put it in the correct order. Thanks for rephrasing the steps in order for me!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I would remove substrate depending on how much the tortoise goes to the bathroom as tortoises bask burrow and like to eat,drink, sleep where their **** is. I have to change my substrate out as I get low due to scooping out feces daily.

Tinytony

Eccles
The tortoise posted here looks very swollen. Mouth looks deformed. Looks very dry.
The tortoise posted here looks very swollen. Mouth looks deformed. Looks very dry.
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it since I don’t know much about tortoises… I bathe him daily, he eats spring greens and dandelions and I use topsoil… I just bought him a new house (100cm in length) at the moment he’s in a glass house. The light I use is from a reptile store but I have also just purchased a mercury vapour all in 1 light. Yeah

Tinytony

Eccles
There are a number of issues that could be causing this; swollen eyelids are all signs of possible illness and/or vitamin deficiency. A tortoise whose eyes are swollen shut might also have an infection or ear abscess. I would consider it vital to locate a vet who is an experienced herpetologist, and refer the matter to them URGENTLY.
Thank you for the reply, his eyes do open also.. I will add a photo here.
He
What lamps and substrate are you using? Do you soak him in shallow luke warm water regularly?

I don't know if you found this caresheet when you joined but this will help you check his diet and living conditions so that you can make any changes needed.
If you post a picture of the whole of his enclosure members can see if there's anything that could be affecting his eyes.
I'll tag some people who may be able to recommended some cream you can apply
@Yvonne G @Tom @zovick
thank you very much for the reply, yes I bathe him daily In luke warm water.. I will add more photos of everything now. Thank you

Tinytony

Eccles
this is tony with his eyes open. But I have just noticed under his chin today he has red marks like blood. This may be because every morning he goes In my back garden which is very stoney. Please help anyone… I am struggling to find a reptile vet. 00B8B505-BF9B-4527-831B-C5CB598B0167.jpeg

Attachments

• 196F61A9-2761-46F5-A96A-42FF362FCD3C.jpeg
    196F61A9-2761-46F5-A96A-42FF362FCD3C.jpeg
    901.6 KB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it since I don’t know much about tortoises… I bathe him daily, he eats spring greens and dandelions and I use topsoil… I just bought him a new house (100cm in length) at the moment he’s in a glass house. The light I use is from a reptile store but I have also just purchased a mercury vapour all in 1 light. Yeah
What type of light were you using before the mercury bulb was bought. We need details not just it came from a reptile store.
What's the humidity? I assume none so get that upto at least 50%.
Get the diet improved by adding more broad leafy greens that are tort safe.
He needs a much bigger enclosure. A 4x8 foot as an adult at least a 2 or 3 foot by 4 or 5 foot now. 4x8 foot will be fine now too and will make it easy as you build it once.

Tinytony

Eccles
We need a bunch more info. All of his housing, lighting used, heating used, substrate, humidity, diet, soaking etc.
In the mean time soak him in warm water that has baby food pureed carrots in it.
What type of light were you using before the mercury bulb was bought. We need details not just it came from a reptile store.
What's the humidity? I assume none so get that upto at least 50%.
Get the diet improved by adding more broad leafy greens that are tort safe.
He needs a much bigger enclosure. A 4x8 foot as an adult at least a 2 or 3 foot by 4 or 5 foot now. 4x8 foot will be fine now too and will make it easy as you build it once.

Tinytony

Eccles
I have attached a image of the bulb, I have also attached an image of his new house.. until I’m able to buy one that’s bigger. Also you said about the humidity… this may sound silly but how do you know the Humidity? I have just bought a spray mist for his topsoil. I have added an image of his current house and his lights if this helps at all. If you have any more advice let me know it’s all appreciated! Also I noticed blood under his chin I have washed him and it’s gone away but do you know any causes of this? I am currently trying to get an appointment with a reptile vet. Thank you 8C539FB7-A4F6-4F7F-984F-0D4A17031DB2.png693706BE-E64D-44D3-BBF4-5423EF7085F2.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have attached a image of the bulb, I have also attached an image of his new house.. until I’m able to buy one that’s bigger. Also you said about the humidity… this may sound silly but how do you know the Humidity? I have just bought a spray mist for his topsoil. I have added an image of his current house and his lights if this helps at all. If you have any more advice let me know it’s all appreciated! Also I noticed blood under his chin I have washed him and it’s gone away but do you know any causes of this? I am currently trying to get an appointment with a reptile vet. Thank you View attachment 346383View attachment 346384View attachment 346385View attachment 346386
The pics help us understand what is going on better. Thanks for posting them.

Most of the care info from pet shops and online is all wrong. Here is the correct care info. Read through this at least a couple of times and you will see some changes you need to make. Your questions are welcome.

There is nothing wrong with the glass tank. That is a myth. The only problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a baby. Yours looks like a baby. Glass tanks are actually better for the very reasons "they" say they are bad. Reduced ventilation. This helps keep temps and humidity up wen compared to a low sided open topped table. Babies need warm temps and higher humidity.

You need to go to the hard ware store or Walmart and get a digital thermometer for about $13. Something like this:
shopping.png
Here is a simplified breakdown of the heating and lighting:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
Soil should never be used as reptile substrate. There is no way to know what is in it. Read the care sheet for better alternatives.

This is a lot of info to take in, but we will help you. At first it seems daunting, but after you do it all, it will make sense and seem simple.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His neck and chin both look red and something going on. Is his shell sharp where his neck is? Possibly got cut by a stick?
You can put some over the counter neosporin on the areas. Clean first with warm water, dry off and put the neosporin on. Do this daily until healed.
The pic of the enclosure looks good for size for now. However it won't hold humidity well. The gauge Tom showed tells temp and humidity.
Read the caresheet Tom linked