Taming hatching Sulcata

Buranman87

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I picked up my sulcata hatchling, Artemis, yesterday, and she's doing really well! But, I have a question regarding taming. In order to protect her from my dog, I keep her enclosure in an unused portion of my closet. I leave the closet door closed most of the time, except for when I feed her or am watching her. Is being isolated from the rest of the house making her more comfortable, or more stressed? is it making the taming process easier, or harder, if she only sees me when I feed her? Should the door be open(my dog never goes in my room anyway, and I'm almost done with building a screen for the top)? kind of a complicated and weird question. Thanks for sticking with me.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
So I picked up my sulcata hatchling, Artemis, yesterday, and she's doing really well! But, I have a question regarding taming. In order to protect her from my dog, I keep her enclosure in an unused portion of my closet. I leave the closet door closed most of the time, except for when I feed her or am watching her. Is being isolated from the rest of the house making her more comfortable, or more stressed? is it making the taming process easier, or harder, if she only sees me when I feed her? Should the door be open(my dog never goes in my room anyway, and I'm almost done with building a screen for the top)? kind of a complicated and weird question. Thanks for sticking with me.
Tortoise can’t Ben tamed, some are social some are not. what kind of enclosure do you have it in? Show pictures

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Not really"tamed", wrong word choice. I really meant just getting comfortable around my presence. She's pretty shy right now.
That’s fine, you could try to hand feeding the tortoise to associate you with food, but for the most part they aren’t social Animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you've got the wrong type of housing. Your tortoise needs to be in a closed chamber. Your dog won't have access to the tortoise in the correct type of enclosure. You are right to be concerned about the dog, but keeping the tortoise isolated in the closet is not the way to go.

Please give this a read:

Buranman87

Southern California
I have her in an under bed storage container 36" by 17", with sphagnum moss substrate. This is only temporary though, I'm already working on a 4' by 5' covered enclosure.
Sounds like you've got the wrong type of housing. Your tortoise needs to be in a closed chamber. Your dog won't have access to the tortoise in the correct type of enclosure. You are right to be concerned about the dog, but keeping the tortoise isolated in the closet is not the way to go.

Please give this a read:
Thanks! I'm building a larger 4' by 4' closed enclosure this weekend. will that be enough? It'll be housed outdoors.

Buranman87

Southern California
I have her in an under bed storage container 36" by 17", with sphagnum moss substrate. This is only temporary though, I'm already working on a 4' by 5' covered enclosure.

Thanks! I'm building a larger 4' by 4' closed enclosure this weekend. will that be enough? It'll be housed outdoors.
Not sure what happened there, it combined 2 of my posts. How strange...