Tank Escaped!!!

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Thanks for posting. I have that same gate. I guess I will be upgrading that. The Sudans have full run of my yard and haven't really showed interest in the gate or fence but I don't want to wait till they do.
Is it a privacy fence? Secure?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Is it a privacy fence? Secure?
No, I wish it was. I use to have a little dog that loved to dig and poop at the neighbors so couple years ago as a quick fix (neighbors were crazy mad) I put up 6' weld wire around my entire front yard. 2' is in ground and 4' is above. Of course I don't have that particular dog anymore but the fence works great for the Sudans. I do have that same gate as the entrance to the yard tho. Course I don't think Sudans are big enough yet but at the rate Marv eats, it won't be long. I did get enough decking boards to go around the perimeter 2 boards high when I found out I was getting them but between not having the time yet and the fact they really don't mess with the fence I haven't put them up yet. I'm going to try and hold off cause I will probably only be here at this property hopefully another 8 months, maybe a year. I purchased a new property, lucked up and found 5 great acres and house for a awesome deal so I am having the house done to my likings. Since I don't do good living in the middle of remodels (I have attempted this before, not a pretty situation, LOL.) I decided to just stay where I currently live until it's finished. I am having the land fenced into sections and set up specific for the torts. Course I also have dogs and pigeon colony to accommodate and the boyfriend has chickens and 2 days ago we took in a goat that was being abused (hopefully he is going to get a new home, with someone besides me) if not I will have to accommodate him to. Him and the torts are having a contest right now to see who can eat the most. Hahaha. It's funny, I caught him watching them yesterday through the fence, it was if they had him in a spell, he never moved, made a noise, nothing, just stared at them with his nose stuck through the fence at them. Sorry, back to issue. So I'm hoping I won't have to do to much here and hopefully we can b moved ASAP, but if it becomes an issue, I will put up the decking boards. Whatever I need to do to keep them safe.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Plywood is your friend!
Now I'm not real smart when it comes to the different kinds of wood but if ya put plywood up outside, wouldn't the rain mess it up? So they have a weather treated kind? When I went to get wood for my fence perimeter I got decking boards cause I figured it must be some what weather safe since their for porches and then I had to get landscape timbers to say between bottoms decking board and ground cause the decking boards aren't suppose to be in contact with ground. Again, I probably could take easier route but wasn't sure what would have been best. I used plywood for Sudans night box but I covered it with real thick heavy duty plastic to protect it from the elements.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I used it to keep Harry in his enclosure . It's been up for a year no problems . I also built my red foot enclosure out of it .

Attachments

• 1410057270132.jpg
    1410057270132.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 1410057320614.jpg
    1410057320614.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1410057339241.jpg
    1410057339241.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 32

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I used it to keep Harry in his enclosure . It's been up for a year no problems . I also built my red foot enclosure out of it .
That looks real nice. I see my yard ain't the only one that has chickens running around. Lol. If that plywood holds up that good, I will have to try it. Thanks!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I hope you are able to keep them safe until you get moved. Sounds like they're gonna have a nice place once you do!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I hope you are able to keep them safe until you get moved. Sounds like they're gonna have a nice place once you do!
I'm working on making it as nice as possible. I started saving money 15 years ago (for a home) when I graduated high school so all that is finally paying off and I hope once it's all done I have a tort palace in the middle of Tennessee. In a couple years when my daughter is old enough to b home alone after school a while if needed I want to move further south, the torts would benefit from it and I have always wanted to live someplace where weather is warmer in winter months. When I get to make that move I plan on having a tort compound. Lol.