Tax day rant

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I'm one of "those people"....

I'm one of those folks that doesn't get a refund because I choose to do a little math and keep my money throughout the year. There is a penalty for exceeding 15% of amount you owe though so I like to keep it around 12%. So I'm not really complaining THAT I have to pay this time of year, it's my choice.

but I HATE doing my taxes................even with software....I hate everything about it....makes me want to go out and ride a Kaw or Zuk two stroke just to fling a couple of middle fingers to society.....does that make me bad?

And what's with the little signs popping up asking me "how do you feel" as I'm completing them?!? WTF is that?.....does it matter?....and who gives a flyin' how a taxpayer feels? More likely, a "trigger" for algorithms to figure if they can sell you more "assurances" and other stupid add-on's crap but jfc folks, how obvious can they be.....yet I'm sure that Suzy dumbsh*t or Donald dic*, presses that button with the smiley face on it...because they've been trained to do that!

This year, I pushed off doing taxes till this morning. In a few hours, Kerry and I are leaving for vac so I pushed it off about as long as humanly possible without resorting to doing them via laptop, hoping I get reception in the grand canyon on the 18th....yeah, I did think about doing exactly that too!! LOL

So it is done..............and this year, I'm very proud to report when all is said and done, I get 196 whole dollars REFUNDED!

I'm laughing my butt off, I haven't had a refund is 30 some years......but I'm not laughing at the amount.....no......

I'm laughing at the fact that last year, the "tax cut" law cost me 8K outright; yet this year @ roughly the same amount earned & more fed withheld, now shows as a $196 refund with the revised ded's and tables taking affect......it's like telling the frog, "no, we aren't heating the water" LMAO!

It's massive BS!

okay, rant over, for another year......

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I try to math it out so that I always owe just a bit, and most years come in within $50 on one side of the line or the other for various states and the FED.

I don't mind paying taxes, it's a part of living in a society, but I often find myself resenting what they spend my taxes on... I wish I had more of a say.

Jamie

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I haven't done my taxes yet. Normally I do them in late February or early March. I am dreading it this year, because we took a bunch of money out of Jeff's retirement to buy a house and some of its improvements. They were suppose to have paid enough earlier to the government to keep us out of the red, but... scared.

Normally, we get a nice healthy refund to pay off all bills and buy something high budget. It's our Christmas gift to us, is how I look at it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been on a fixed income for many, many years, and my tax returns are almost exactly the same every year since I retired. I've been getting the exact same amount refunded to me annualy for about 15 years now - EXACTLY THE SAME!

I use Turbo Tax online. They prompt you thought it and it's very easy. Takes me about an hour once I sit down to the computer.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm one of "those people"....

I'm one of those folks that doesn't get a refund because I choose to do a little math and keep my money throughout the year. There is a penalty for exceeding 15% of amount you owe though so I like to keep it around 12%. So I'm not really complaining THAT I have to pay this time of year, it's my choice.

but I HATE doing my taxes................even with software....I hate everything about it....makes me want to go out and ride a Kaw or Zuk two stroke just to fling a couple of middle fingers to society.....does that make me bad?

And what's with the little signs popping up asking me "how do you feel" as I'm completing them?!? WTF is that?.....does it matter?....and who gives a flyin' how a taxpayer feels? More likely, a "trigger" for algorithms to figure if they can sell you more "assurances" and other stupid add-on's crap but jfc folks, how obvious can they be.....yet I'm sure that Suzy dumbsh*t or Donald dic*, presses that button with the smiley face on it...because they've been trained to do that!

This year, I pushed off doing taxes till this morning. In a few hours, Kerry and I are leaving for vac so I pushed it off about as long as humanly possible without resorting to doing them via laptop, hoping I get reception in the grand canyon on the 18th....yeah, I did think about doing exactly that too!! LOL

So it is done..............and this year, I'm very proud to report when all is said and done, I get 196 whole dollars REFUNDED!

I'm laughing my butt off, I haven't had a refund is 30 some years......but I'm not laughing at the amount.....no......

I'm laughing at the fact that last year, the "tax cut" law cost me 8K outright; yet this year @ roughly the same amount earned & more fed withheld, now shows as a $196 refund with the revised ded's and tables taking affect......it's like telling the frog, "no, we aren't heating the water" LMAO!

It's massive BS!

okay, rant over, for another year......

Lucky you, a refund. 😃

One of the mutual funds that we own did some financial wizardry and in the end reported to the IRS that we made 70k in “capital gains” (on paper). Sooo, even though we didnt spend a penny of that we got to report that 70k as income. We ended up paying a “ton” of money this year. 😢😫

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I am very lucky that I have a Cpa as a family friend. I just hand over our W2's and he works his magic 😁
I was recently put into a different tax bracket so I was a little apprehensive, especially since I have a child and they were giving that money once a month out. Turns out federal was all good, got a refund to take care of some things and do something fun with my son, but I did end up owing the state a whopping $12. 😂