Temperatures

Ellen & Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire, UK
So as many of you know we are having a mini heat wave here in England and i'm just a little concerned about the temps in Alex's Tank. It normally sits at about 25/26 degs but with the current weather it is getting up to 28/29 degs, is this ok for Alex (she is a YBS btw) or does anyone have any suggestions on how to cool the tank? I have heard someone say to put a bottle of frozen water in with fish to cool the temps but i'm worried that might hurt her if she sits on it etc :oops: ... All advice gratefully received.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
I have already disconnected the water heater by the way so the temperature is all down to the current weather.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sliders can easily tolerate water temps as high as 30 - 31, especially if there is a cool down at night. I have a large outdoor pond for my turtles, and in the heat of the summer, with days reaching 40° the water temperature can reach 28°. Although not a temperature I would want to maintain, it causes no harm to any of my turtles. The thermal max for core body temps is actually about 40 for most chelonians. While basking, a turtle will often raise its body temperature up to 34 or 35.

I would not worry at all about the temps you are experiencing.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I second mark, your YBS should be fine at that temp

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
That's good to know, thank you Markw84 and Toddrickfl1! I wasn't sure and thought it was best to check, it just seems so hot in there. :)