Temporary sully hatchling enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
I finally got Lucas' home redone. I did a mix of organic gardening soil and Eco earth and lined the aquarium with some sphagnum moss to help hold in the humidity. I'm in New Mexico and it's pretty dry here. I spray it often. I also got a small plastic flower pot for his ImageUploadedByTortForum1380643504.325855.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380643521.511887.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380643541.110091.jpghide cut out a hole with a Dremel and stuck a piece of moss in here as well. He's got a little tortoise buddy in there along with his food and water dish. Last thing I need is a temp gun. I will begin work on his table mid October. Does this look legit to you guys for now? Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's ok, but its not ideal. A large plastic tub would be better, and you can get one bigger than that aquarium for not much money. Pour a lot of water into the substrate and mix it all up with your hand. Then you can just spritz water over the moss daily to keep it moist in there.

Because of the small size I think you're going to have trouble getting a temperature gradient. I think its going to be the same temp all over, and what you want is a warm end and a cooler end.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
I think the aquarium is a 10. Again this setup is only temporary. I'm going to start his table very soon. He seems to be okay with it for now. I don't have a UVB for him yet but I've been taking him outside once a day for 20-30 minutes. I have an old book case that's about 3'X4' that I'm going to use for his table.

Status
Not open for further replies.