Testing water

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
For those of you who keep small turtles (muds or musks etc) WITHOUT FISH in inside aquariums, how often do you check water parameters like ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?

Do you test for anything else?
Thanks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No idea, mine are kept outdoors. Hope you get some answers, I believe you will!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's normal practice for a fish tank to check once a month. Along with monthly quarter to half water changes. It wouldn't be bad to do the same for your turtle tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my turtle keeping days I never bothered to test the water. I spot cleaned with a siphon hose as needed, and changed large amounts of the water on a frequent basis, so it really wasn't necessary to check it.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
In my turtle keeping days I never bothered to test the water. I spot cleaned with a siphon hose as needed, and changed large amounts of the water on a frequent basis, so it really wasn't necessary to check it.
This is pretty much what I have done for all the years I’ve kept aquatic turtles. I employ filters, do frequent water changes and spot clean uneaten food or poop with a net. If the water has an odor I’ll do a complete water change and also change out the filter media too.
I view mud and musk turtles almost like large cichlids...which are fish with heavy appetites and that are messy.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Most turtles don’t require any special parameters. With each species, I do try my best to find out the water parameters in their native ranges though. This is usually only PH and hardness.

When I feel PH isn’t an issue for a species (most), I usually keep them slightly acidic.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks to everybody for the input! :)

Jacques has a teeny little white-ish spot on her carapace which I think is where a little bit flaked off. I picked her up and tried to see if it would rub off, but it didn't. I did a little research and saw mention of poor water quality as a possible cause. :(
I do a complete water change in her tank every 2-4 weeks. I suppose I should confess it's closer to 3 or 4 weeks more often than not. The filter on her tank is rated for 20 gallons, and since her 20-gallon tank is only HALF full, it's only really 10 gallons that needs filtering. I figured that was good enough. She's the ONLY animal in the tank, and I ALWAYS scoop out uneaten food with a net, so I didn't think her water would get terribly bad in a month or so.

I ordered a fancy-schmancy "Master Fresh Water Test Kit" and will check her water, just to ease my mind. :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Ok, Mooz...I'm calling the cops!
Just joking, pretty sure that it's nothing.
Don't forget that Jacques is a wild caught turtle and therefore likely to have minor issues from her previous life.
Investing in a water test kit will give you (and us as well ) an insight into your water quality.
Please keep us posted!
.....PS....expect a knock at the door ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ok, Mooz...I'm calling the cops!
Just joking, pretty sure that it's nothing.
Don't forget that Jacques is a wild caught turtle and therefore likely to have minor issues from her previous life.
Investing in a water test kit will give you (and us as well ) an insight into your water quality.
Please keep us posted!
.....PS....expect a knock at the door ;)

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Joking aside. It would be interesting see hear what your water conditions actually are.
Also, a photo of Jacques’ shell and white spot would be good too.
Thanks bunches.
Will try to get both today. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here's a photo of Jacques: the white spot is over her left hip area.

IMG_8365.JPG

I got done with the water testing.
My city water (which is chlorinated) is pH 8.4, and tests NEGATIVE for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. The GH and KH are both the lowest measurable with my test kit, which is 0-50 ppm.

The water in her tank (which was totally changed about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago) was pH 7.6, ammonia ZERO, Nitrites ZERO but NITRATES "GREATER THAN 160 PPM!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: WHY IS THIS???!?!??

Her aquarium is 20 gal, but I keep it only half full. The substrate is play sand which was rinsed repeatedly until the water ran clear with no foam when i first set up her tank. The filter uses both granulated carbon and the little ceramic cylinders, each in separate chambers. When I change her water, I replace the carbon and rinse the ceramic beads/cylinders with DISTILLED water; I treat the new tank water with Seachem "Neutral Regulator" per the instructions on the jar (except that I don't re-treat the water until the next water change). I also stir up the sand when I change the water. The tank water temperature is 78* F and I top it up with a gallon of distilled water about every 3-4 days. There is a pothos plant in the tank: roots underwater but leaves above water.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong to have Nitrates like that. :(
And I'm still trying to understand GH and KH: is it better for them to be high or low? :confused:

Any explanations/observations/advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

@cdmay @Tom @wellington @KevinGG

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Here's a photo of Jacques: the white spot is over her left hip area.

View attachment 222663

NITRATES "GREATER THAN 160 PPM!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: WHY IS THIS???!?!??

@cdmay @Tom @wellington @KevinGG

it's the end product of the nitrogen cycle ........ you need plants to take them out , or change the water all the time ...... get some plants going in the tank , or you can just root houseplants in the tank , I use arrowhead , and peace lilies

DSCF3839.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
it's the end product of the nitrogen cycle ........ you need plants to take them out , or change the water all the time ...... get some plants going in the tank , or you can just root houseplants in the tank , I use arrowhead , and peace lilies

DSCF3839.jpg

I've been thinking of putting pots with emerged plants in the tank! :)

But the bare roots would be better? @mark1

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you can put them in gravel in a pot , but better would be the planting baskets used in ponds