The egg laying begins again, after 4 years,

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
After the last 4 seasons, and new build of the greenhouse, the red foots seemed quite off in laying eggs due to the sudden change of environment change. Especially the older residents, But this winter fared them well with some eggs laid by few females. This Guyana female(georgette) is finally coming around to getting use to the "digs" around the "house" and is laying a healthy clutch of 5 eggs to start her "new beginnings: back to laying a boat load of eggs. Ive had her since she was a pup, captive bred from WC parents I sold 10 years ago.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Why Thank Yah, I think I did pretty good at raising her from a wee hatchling many years back. Shes a special one for sure. Her and gracie the other Guyana female I have from another set of WC parents are just alike, Almost twins in a since.

It just goes to show how sensitive tortoises can be to environmental changes. I went from tearing down the old greenhouse and having to house my reds in a good, but not as adequate space I usually house them in. To a much better outdoor summer pen/indoor HUGE greenhouse(during winters, although short in Texas) over the years, how delicate they can be in egg cycles and laying. It may be the classical music I play for them, I dunno (LOL) or that they have become established to recognition to repetitive surroundings with safe enduring futures of much greater winter/summer get-ups.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jlant85 said:
oh how exciting!

Oh yes indeed. I was use to getting 100+ eggs from carbonaria. Specimens ranging from Southern Costa Rica, Suriname, Guyana, Venezuela, Columbia, Bolivia, Trinidad & Tobago, and Northern Brazil. Finally they all seemed content in their laying cycles. Of course many months will tell with fertility of eggs(which should be very good with all the horn dog males present), But good signs, are laying. So positive response, after all the moving and construction of new habitats and buildings.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Wow best wishes, hope one day i can breed rfs too

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
tortadise said:
Jlant85 said:
oh how exciting!

Oh yes indeed. I was use to getting 100+ eggs from carbonaria. Specimens ranging from Southern Costa Rica, Suriname, Guyana, Venezuela, Columbia, Bolivia, Trinidad & Tobago, and Northern Brazil. Finally they all seemed content in their laying cycles. Of course many months will tell with fertility of eggs(which should be very good with all the horn dog males present), But good signs, are laying. So positive response, after all the moving and construction of new habitats and buildings.

I wants to ask you about your greenhouse, how warm/hot does it get inside? And for humidity, how do you maintain it?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very nice …… gorgeous looking gal to boot & Great pictures!

JD~:)

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Very nice looking tortoise, good luck with the eggs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jlant85 said:
tortadise said:
Jlant85 said:
oh how exciting!

I wants to ask you about your greenhouse, how warm/hot does it get inside? And for humidity, how do you maintain it?

The greenhouse stays 78-88 during the winter. Summer it can a bit warmer. But everyone except some hinge backs go outside during the summer. I have a misting system on a timer that goes off every 4 hours fof 30 minutes during the day. Its very very humid in their. At least 80-90%, at all times. Lots of plants belp too. I also change the mulch in the pens every 90 days or so. That helps too I suppose. Mainly Its the misting system and heat that keeps it so humid

Vickie

5 Year Member
Congratulations! Boy and isn't she a stunner I love her head color with her nice big round eyes. :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Love the orange & yellow head coloration, she's mighty fine Kelly. Also glad to see she's laying clutches for you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.