The Mighty Odin's indoor oasis-The Build

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Yep, all the seeds are future sully food, clover, dandelion, multiple grasses and a smidge of things like spinach and kale and stuff. All the same stuff I grew inside last winter and outside all summer. I knew they didn't stand a chance and I wanted to wait another week or two before we let him loose, but I just couldn't take the pouting anymore! I am so very weak when it comes to that little face......
Oh I know! How can you say no to such an adorable face? ;D I'm always so happy to read about captive animals being spoiled! It's an art form creating a domestic habit that so closely resembles their native habitat, and I never get tired of all the ideas. :D

Also, I'm quite sure you've mentioned before, but how deep are your layers of dirt in each section of the tortoise mansion? I'm starting to get pretty jealous of the greenhouse idea! ;)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I think these ideas are anything but little :) This build is amazing and this thread one of the best on the forums imo!

Thank you so much for the updates, I am learning so much from all you've done, and enjoying the story along the way!

All of our ideas were inspired by others work here, so I can hardly take credit for it. I am so glad that you are enjoying it, the whole experience has been very rewarding and being able to share where our inspiration has taken us so far has been a blast!
Plus, I am already eyeballing other people work for future builds both inside and out. SO exciting!

Oh I know! How can you say no to such an adorable face? ;D I'm always so happy to read about captive animals being spoiled! It's an art form creating a domestic habit that so closely resembles their native habitat, and I never get tired of all the ideas. :D

Also, I'm quite sure you've mentioned before, but how deep are your layers of dirt in each section of the tortoise mansion? I'm starting to get pretty jealous of the greenhouse idea! ;)
Being in Minnesota, it is even more of a challenge to try and replicate their native habitat, and the bigger he gets the more work it will require, but as you said, with a face like that how can I say no?

The layers in the greenhouse and the small, median temp box are 6 inches of a mix of peat, organic topsoil, a bit of organic compost and coco coir. The desert box is roughly 3-4 inches deep of a similar mix but with more coco coir and covered with about an inch of reptibark.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Yep, all the seeds are future sully food, clover, dandelion, multiple grasses and a smidge of things like spinach and kale and stuff. All the same stuff I grew inside last winter and outside all summer. I knew they didn't stand a chance and I wanted to wait another week or two before we let him loose, but I just couldn't take the pouting anymore! I am so very weak when it comes to that little face.....QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more specific about the seed. Sulcata food has a seedling mix and that is what yours looked like (I love the stuff, grows super quick!)

http://www.sulcatafood.com/All_Store_Items.html

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Odin is settling in nicely and seems pretty pleased with the set-up! This morning I checked in on him before I left for work and he was chilling in the desert box under the basking light that I temped at a steamy 112 degrees!:eek: If we didn't have the separate boxes with different temps I would be concerned about that kind of brutal, dry heat, but the middle box was at 78 degrees (the MVB wasn't on in that one yet, and the CHE in that one is on a timer set to go on mostly overnight to maintain lower temps, rather than a thermostat like the desert box) and the greenhouse was at 82 with 85% humidity, so it is easy enough for him to choose what he is in the mood for.

re: seed mixes
So far I have avoided buying any mixes, none of them that I have found specifically list the ingredients, and with all the misinformation on sully care I can't help but worry that the mixes may have something that isn't good for him or maybe just have good items in incorrect or unhealthy amounts. With me buying all the seeds individually I can control how much of each plant I will have, (for example, 5-10 radish seeds for every handful of grass seed). I can also reseed specific items that he mows down when he has a craving for one particular thing or stop seeding for things he isn't currently munching.
I know, I know, I am a little paranoid, and as always, have completely overthought it, but that's just how I roll. :p

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Odin is settling in nicely and seems pretty pleased with the set-up! This morning I checked in on him before I left for work and he was chilling in the desert box under the basking light that I temped at a steamy 112 degrees!:eek: If we didn't have the separate boxes with different temps I would be concerned about that kind of brutal, dry heat, but the middle box was at 78 degrees (the MVB wasn't on in that one yet, and the CHE in that one is on a timer set to go on mostly overnight to maintain lower temps, rather than a thermostat like the desert box) and the greenhouse was at 82 with 85% humidity, so it is easy enough for him to choose what he is in the mood for.

So far I have avoided buying any mixes, none of them that I have found specifically list the ingredients, and with all the misinformation on sully care I can't help but worry that the mixes may have something that isn't good for him or maybe just have good items in incorrect or unhealthy amounts. With me buying all the seeds individually I can control how much of each plant I will have, (for example, 5-10 radish seeds for every handful of grass seed). I can also reseed specific items that he mows down when he has a craving for one particular thing or stop seeding for things he isn't currently munching.
I know, I know, I am a little paranoid, and as always, have completely overthought it, but that's just how I roll. :p
Great thread! Love your work! Wish I was as handy...but we at least have Texas climate in our favor so outdoor enclosure is a plan for my grand-tort-babies once they get bigger and I'll get some help with the hide box. With very short winter our babies will enjoy the back yard almost full time and we'll figure something out for the few cold days we get here. But I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your work! Wow! Awesome! Love what you've done with Odin's new home, loved all the pictures, and Odin looks like a king of a castle. Your cats are beautiful. I have 3 of those (full time indoors) and love them to pieces. Thank you for sharing your building experience with us. Great learning opportunity for so many of us!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Great thread! Love your work! Wish I was as handy...but we at least have Texas climate in our favor so outdoor enclosure is a plan for my grand-tort-babies once they get bigger and I'll get some help with the hide box. With very short winter our babies will enjoy the back yard almost full time and we'll figure something out for the few cold days we get here. But I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your work! Wow! Awesome! Love what you've done with Odin's new home, loved all the pictures, and Odin looks like a king of a castle. Your cats are beautiful. I have 3 of those (full time indoors) and love them to pieces. Thank you for sharing your building experience with us. Great learning opportunity for so many of us!
Thank you so much! The kind words and encouragement are a huge boost for this very nervous first time tort Grandma!
The thought of caring for a beast that will likely outlive my adult children is very overwhelming, but thanks to this place and all the support and knowledge I have gained (and passed on to my son) I am starting to feel more confident that we are giving him a good start to what will hopefully be a very long, long life. The least I can do is try and pass on our journey to others in this position. :)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas

I get that, 110%! I like to use them as fillers for what I plant and grow on my own. I am paranoid about him starving or not getting everything he needs. With how busy I am (kids, foster kids, our zoo) it makes me feel a little more secure. Just toss, water and he has another option.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
*insert boatload of expletives*

Another glitch in the greenhouse! I was out of town for the weekend and came back to find a half dozen wasps, fortunately they aren't that stinging devil creatures that I am terrified of (and allergic to), instead they are a type of Ichneumon, and these particular ones are very large and look very much like a crane fly. I smushed at least 4 of them but there were a couple I couldn't catch. My son has the day off and I have him on creepy-crawlie patrol.

I am not a happy lady. :mad:

Oh! But on the plus side, Odin checked out his old hide that he hasn't been using! I could tell because it it looked as if a caravan of tiny backhoes removed all the soil from inside the hide and spread it around in front of it. :p

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Awww, poor Odin! I'm sure the evil buggies will be destroyed soon! *Hugs for luck!*

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Well, my son smushed a couple more of those pesky wasps yesterday and today I found a few more and gave the whole greenhouse a liberal dose of diatomaceous earth. Odin does not seem to give a rat's patootie about them and seems to really be "warming up" to the new set-up :p. His two favorite areas seem to be the greenhouse and the cactus wing, and I rarely see him in the small middle section except to pass through it, briefly pausing to take a few bites of aloe vera.
It's too soon to call it a success, but once we work out the kinks (like the wasps) I think it will be. :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Well, my son smushed a couple more of those pesky wasps yesterday and today I found a few more and gave the whole greenhouse a liberal dose of diatomaceous earth. Odin does not seem to give a rat's patootie about them and seems to really be "warming up" to the new set-up :p. His two favorite areas seem to be the greenhouse and the cactus wing, and I rarely see him in the small middle section except to pass through it, briefly pausing to take a few bites of aloe vera.
It's too soon to call it a success, but once we work out the kinks (like the wasps) I think it will be. :)

if it helps and is possible... our flat had an invasion due to a nest last summer... an empty soda bottle with the top cut around a 3rd down and inverted... put some golden syrup in the bottom. the little pests will go in, but can't get out! i was catching around 20 daily with this method.

bloomin things tryed my patience to say the least:(

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I'm glad you both love it as much as I do! It was a great accidental find and all the plants I have ordered through them are beautiful and healthy.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
if it helps and is possible... our flat had an invasion due to a nest last summer... an empty soda bottle with the top cut around a 3rd down and inverted... put some golden syrup in the bottom. the little pests will go in, but can't get out! i was catching around 20 daily with this method.

bloomin things tryed my patience to say the least:(
They are trying mine too, but between smushing and diatomaceous earth they seem to be under control. We are still seeing 1-3 new ones a day but ones the eggs stop hatching I think we will be okay.

And, I am pleased to say, Odin seems to be back to his old self! He isn't hiding like he was at first and this morning when I went in to feed him and put fresh water in his dish he came running like he used to! The seedlings are growing pretty slowly, but they are growing, and the established plants are doing very well!
I think, rather than cordoning off areas to let the seedlings grow, I may start trays of seeds to transplant into areas as they get big just to keep bald spots to a minimum.002.JPG 005.JPG 011.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 029.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Little Odin is growing so fast!!! What a veritable tortoise paradise!! :<3: I'm so pleased with your progress! Now it's time to celebrate with Steve and Mazuri! :D