thermostat question

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
my fiance bought me a zilla thermostat as a surprise present it's one of the 1000 watt one's i was just curious if anyone else has one of these and if you can tell me if it heats up past the set point a couple degrees then kicks off or heat's up to the set temp and kicks off and also how far under the set degree does it have to fall to kick on the instruction's are very vivid we are leaving later today to visit some family out of town until sunday and am a little worried about how it have it set. i have it set at 84 but it seems to stay on for a long time and only kick off for a few min's at a time? i'm using a 60 watt CHE should i maybe step up a wattage?

abclements

5 Year Member
I don't have that specific one but most thermostats go up to the set temp and then turn off. A 60W CHE is pretty small. I use the 100W one and it works really well for my ~20 cubic foot enclosure unless it gets really cold in my apt. I'm planning on going to the 150W when I go up in enclosure size this fall.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
yea i was thinking the CHE was a little to small to do you think if i went up a size it would stay off longer? it seems to kick off for like 10-15 mins then back on

abclements

5 Year Member
A higher wattage CHE is going to warm it back up faster and since it gets hotter, the residual heat will help keep the enclosure warmer for a little longer, but your enclosure will still loose heat at the same rate it always does. So it might increase the off time to 15-20 minutes or so. It just won't be on for as long and won't struggle as hard to maintain temps.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
that's the answer i was looking for thank's is there any one brand of CHE's that are better then the rest?

abclements

5 Year Member
I have no clue. I bought the zoo med one 2 years ago (when I got my tort) and still running strong!

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya! You don't want that guy running all day lol you might have a bbqed red foot! But that thermostat is more than enough to handle the 150W.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Ya! You don't want that guy running all day lol you might have a bbqed red foot! But that thermostat is more than enough to handle the 150W.

do you think i should just try a 100w? i have a glass front enclosure and i think the glass may help it lose heat it's pretty big to

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
oh and another thing where would you recommend placing the probe for the best ambient reading's in the farthest corner?

abclements

5 Year Member
My heat dish is on the right side, so I place the probe about 2/3 of the way to the left and have it set for 84 (mine drops to 81 before kicking on) and it stays above 78 on the far left and never goes about 91 or so on the right.