Thor when he arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I was curious as to what people think. Does he look slightly bumpy in these pictures? It does to me.

These were taken, maybe a week after he arrived, last year July. He was 3 to 4 months old at this point.

In this one, the second scute from the right, down the middle. You can see a darker black line between the scutes there, that is showing the scute being slightly bumpy. And it gets more noticeable near his read end.
ThorOutside6.jpg

Maybe a little more difficult to see. But you can see how the scutes sort of form a small "v" in between most of them.
000_0007-1.jpg

He was kept on 100% moist substrate, humid hide, with water dish 24/7 during these pics. In a 75g long. This was changed though months and months ago. But the glass tank did help hold the humidity in too.

Kind of killing myself over whether or not it was me, or if he had already started to pyramid, in which case I won't see signs of reversing it for years.

Nowadays he's in a 4x4 enclosure, 100% moist substrate, humid hide, access to water 24/7 and I mist him 2-3 times a day. He also gets soaked 2-3 times a week. And of course he is outside for hours each day in his 6x4 outdoor pen, as long as it isn't raining.

Anyways, post your thoughts. Wish I had gotten a little more clearer pictures, but I guess I never thought about if he was pyramiding or not when I got him. I just figured this was the way they were.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Given the size of the photos, he looks good...I see some slight shadowing between the scutes but it doesn't seem to be pyramiding...your set-ups seem good also...as long as there is some varience in the temp...i.e. 75-80 in the shade, 80-90 in the open with a basking spot upwards of 100+...but the moisture humiity etc seem right on.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
DeanS said:
Given the size of the photos, he looks good...I see some slight shadowing between the scutes but it doesn't seem to be pyramiding...your set-ups seem good also...as long as there is some varience in the temp...i.e. 75-80 in the shade, 80-90 in the open with a basking spot upwards of 100+...but the moisture humiity etc seem right on.

Oh, these were back last year in July/August. He is still pyramiding (looks a little worse now).

I was curious as to what people thought of those pictures, if he was starting to pyramid then. Or if I was doing something wrong.

Here he is now. About 14 months old. Pyramiding.
000_0043.jpg

There was a time, where he had a 4x6 enclosure, where half of it was moist, and the other half dry. The moist end he was around the most. It had his favorite hide, water, food. Basically it was 2x6 moist, 2x6 dry. He was already slightly bumpy before coming to this enclosure though.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It seems very slight to me. More of a gap between the scutes than raised/pointed scutes. Some torts are just bumpy--like mine! What is the diet like?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i got pics like that with mine.. i think it is normal for these guys...

when i got tempi she had some "bumps" they are getting better now

torts008.jpg

BB has been mine since two weeks

torts010.jpg

does any of that help....

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
It seems very slight to me. More of a gap between the scutes than raised/pointed scutes. Some torts are just bumpy--like mine! What is the diet like?

Thanks.

As of right now (it varies from summer to winter since I grow my own things when I can).

Not in any particular order.

Fed the most: Hibiscus leaves, plantain, radicchio, grass, turnip greens

Fed a decent amount: dandelion, collard greens

Fed the least: 2-3 Mazuri pellets a week, Spring mix (No chard or spinach), mustard greens, clover

Fed maybe once every 3-4 weeks: Butternut squash. It would be maybe 10% of hid diet that day to make sure everything is "flowing" good :p.

Winter diet was more like

Fed the most: Hibiscus leaves, radicchio, grass, chicory

Fed a decent amount: collard, radish greens, spring mix (No chard or spinach)

Fed the least: 2-3 Mazuri pellets a week, clovers (I transplanted a good sized plant last winter)

I am definitely going to be transplanting like 20 or so plantain plants this winter I have hundreds of plantain plants in my yard, which is nice.

It's pretty varied I think, but always open to suggestions. He's slowly starting to eat grasses (sometimes JUST grass I cut up). Other time's he eats for maybe 2-3 minutes if it's grass and will stop.

And thanks Terra for the pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.