ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello all,
I have a 100w Arcadia MVB in my 60x130cm enclosure for my tort Loki.
The temperature at his height directly underneath the bulb is about 32-33° which I think is perfect. However, underneath this bulb I have a flat stone that I found in my garden, it has been disinfected of course.
I put my thermometer on this stone and it reached up to around 55-60°!
To me this seems way too hot but I am no expert. Is it too hot for his feet?
He seems to walk across it fine and stay on there for a couple of minutes fine but it sounds too hot. He does like to walk around the stone and he sleeps around the stone nearly every day when he goes to sleep - I don't know if this is because it's too hot or not but,

Here is a photo.IMG_20190213_174145.jpg

Any replies would be appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep this species, and I've never used a stone under the light, so I have no words of wisdom for you. But I'm THINKING it may be too hot. But let's wait for someone who knows the Hermanni species to chime in.

ayrgrn

UK
I don't keep this species, and I've never used a stone under the light, so I have no words of wisdom for you. But I'm THINKING it may be too hot. But let's wait for someone who knows the Hermanni species to chime in.
Ok thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The way to measure temps is on a surface under the bulb. This being the case, your bulb is WAY too hot and too close. It should be around 36C at tortoise height directly under the bulb. Place a rock or brick that is about the height of your tortoise under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or two. Then use your temp gun to check it, or place a Digital thermometer under the bulb and let it cook on top of the rock. This will tell you the temperature at tortoise shell height.

How did you measure a temp of 32-33 previously?

ayrgrn

UK
I'm not sure I understand, the air temperature at torts height is 32° and the stone underneath is about 55, you're saying that the stone that is 55° should be 32° and not the air temp? And to measure the 32-33° previously, I placed my kitchen thermometer at torts hight in the air above the stone (where torts top of she'll would be if standing underneath)
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure I understand, the air temperature at torts height is 32° and the stone underneath is about 55, you're saying that the stone that is 55° should be 32° and not the air temp? And to measure the 32-33° previously, I placed my kitchen thermometer at torts hight in the air above the stone (where torts top of she'll would be if standing underneath)
Thanks
These two things don't add up. Something is off somewhere. The surface temp is the one to check. Air temp doesn't matter. You want to know how hot the surface of your tortoise's shell is going to get, and that should be around 36 at the most.

Hermione

Worthing
Nice flat stone ! I've found it's best to put the stone to one side of the light or you'll have him doing a tap dance !! As has been said it's the surface temperature you need. Then if he wants to bask ON the stone that's up to him. Always give as much choice as possible. Because reptiles "self regulate" it only has to be at 30-32 degrees at the hottest spot..You will learn as you go along but keep testing with the heat gun while you get experience. His behavior will guide you as well, but you do have to spend time getting it to the correct conditions. Don't panic though..they are tough little things