5 Year Member
Add a little Ragu’ …..“bachelor meal in a bottle”

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
I'm going to try it with my babies :) always open to new ideas :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Don't know how 'new' really...I've been doing it for three years...with GREAT success! Good luck!

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I love your pics of your torts eating it--so cute!! Weird question: is it only for sulcatas, or can it be for Russians, too? Only asking, because I'm getting one soon and I would like to try it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Chinque said:
I love your pics of your torts eating it--so cute!! Weird question: is it only for sulcatas, or can it be for Russians, too? Only asking, because I'm getting one soon and I would like to try it.

It'd be perfect for Russians.

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
DeanS said:
So...I'm sure you all remember when I introduced Tortoise Lasagne more than a year ago. Well, as time goes by, you acquire new knowledge and hone your craft. With that being said...I now introduce you to Tortoise Meatballs!

First you add tortoise chow (I prefer 3/4 Mazuri to 1/4 Marion)
2ykc2oo.jpg

Top the mixture (not the container) off with warm water
inbgwh.jpg

After allowing chow to absorb water, add chopped hay (yeah I said chopped hay)
2wg6jq0.jpg

Stir mixture thoroughly...final consistency should be roughly the same as peanut butter cookie batter...if too wet...add more hay!
vsoqht.jpg

Form into a giant ball and set out for your monsters. As usual, Climber and Eggroll are first! They are always on patrol for food...any edible...it's theirs! Look at Aladar in the backgorund...all he cares about is the unusual winter sun!
1zva1bc.jpg

Soon...all the little ones are on it!
23rjzfs.jpg

And, eventually, His Royal Highness (as my wife calls him) shows up for his share! Notice how the little ones scat before he gets there?!?!
navz9.jpg

I've dispensed with anything store bought...and they can graze on grass at their leisure. I offer cactus every other day.

I realized how important long stem fiber is to them and we all know that young torts will NOT eat hay. Well...they do now!

Good luck and let me know your experiences with this!

HAHAHAHAHAH OMG the first pic of your large sulcata's face was priceless, he looks like he was thinking " OH MY GERRRRRRD MEATBALL!!!!, what is this delicious thing in my mouth????" hahaha........ok I'm done now.

TortLuv

5 Year Member
I fed this to my 1 year old sulcata this weekend, and it's the first time he's ever actually eaten his hay!

I am so happy about this, thank you!

tortoisemeatball1.jpg

ayS

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
DeanS, do you buy you Marion from someone who works at the zoo? Or they give them to you for free?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Mazuri is good for up to 9 months after opening. If you divide it up and freeze you should freeze in bags small enough to use in a weeks time and keep in fridge, or you run the risk of mold! I called Mazuri and this is what they told me. I hope it helps!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ayS said:
DeanS, do you buy you Marion from someone who works at the zoo? Or they give them to you for free?

Not anymore! Somebody almost got in trouble...so now I get it from Marion direct...although I think I'm gonna start picking it up from John at coastalsilkworms.com ~ his shipping prices are a little better ;)

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
Little ones don't eat hay? Oh darn. Don't tell my little ones. I don't think they knew that😃

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I get the Mazuri locally...the Marion? That's starting to become a hassle...so since my animals are a little more finicky when I include the Marion...I'm going to phase it out as soon as this last bit disappears! And a bag of Mazuri lasts me about two months...give or take!

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
i remembered this "meatball" thread this weekend and used the idea to get my leopard and sulcata to eat their grassland tortoise food. they are both rather picky at times. so, i took the grassland tortoise and added mazuri, tnt with probiotics, a little spring mix, cactus and some squash. soaked it all until just moist and then blended it all in the food processor. served on a bed of spring mix, they chowed down and ate it all. love this idea for getting them to eat stuff they wouldn't normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.