Tortoise not walking around

NormanTheHermanns

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
I have a six year old Hermann’s Tortoise who has always had a great appetite and has always been SO active. He gets calcium, the right UVA and UVB lighting that were replaced a few months ago, plenty of room to walk around, and a balanced diet. He has always been very healthy and active.

There is a reptile store near me that I have boarded him at. When I get him back, he often is less active for a day or two but then is back to normal. Usually we only board him for maximum five days, but for the first time we boarded him for 2.5 weeks while we went on vacation. When we got him back, he was very constipated for a week (but was still eating lots and peeing) and then after daily soaks (usually I soak him every three days) and some pumpkin, he started going to the bathroom a lot. He still is pooping quite a bit which I’m happy about - I was very worried when he wasn’t.

It’s now been almost a week since he started pooping again (two since we got him back from boarding). He still, however, is still not being active. He usually walks all around his enclosure, loved climbing on top of his cave and into his water. He now just alternates between lying under his light and then in his cave all day, other than going out to eat when I give him his food. He barely moves at all. We’re not sure what to do - it’s not his normal behaviour. He’s eating a ton (dude has always had a huge appetite), getting regular soaks, gets calcium powder about twice a week, lighting is normal, is regularly going to the bathroom.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or insights as to why he’s still not active. Maybe I just haven’t given him enough time to recover from being constipated and from his change in environment.

I have also checked over his shell to see if there are any new marks or if anything feels soft and it all looks and feels normal, but I’ve posted pics of him in case there is something I don’t see. The spot on the right under his shell has been there since I adopted him years ago and has never changed.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7141.jpeg
    IMG_7141.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7142.jpeg
    IMG_7142.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd say give a little more time. He was boarded longer than normal.
I would also suggest finding a friend or family member that could check in on him daily next time you need to board him. Pet stores have little to no knowledge of tortoises, can be very stressful for him and they aren't going to make sure they clean their hands in-between dealing with their other animals and your tortoise.

NormanTheHermanns

Toronto, Ontario
I'd say give a little more time. He was boarded longer than normal.
I would also suggest finding a friend or family member that could check in on him daily next time you need to board him. Pet stores have little to no knowledge of tortoises, can be very stressful for him and they aren't going to make sure they clean their hands in-between dealing with their other animals and your tortoise.
I will give him more time! Thank you!!

Yes - I was thinking that. They are a reptile-specific store that have a whole department dedicated to reptile care and knowledge so I thought I could trust them for boarding, but if he stays with a family or friend instead I can at least know they do exactly what I do.

Thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will give him more time! Thank you!!

Yes - I was thinking that. They are a reptile-specific store that have a whole department dedicated to reptile care and knowledge so I thought I could trust them for boarding, but if he stays with a family or friend instead I can at least know they do exactly what I do.

Thank you!!
If you can leave him at your house, in his enclosure, put heat on a thermostat and lights on a timer and have a friend or family come in to feed and water, that's the best way to do it. No stress on him at all.