Tortoise substrate

LJL1982

Location (City and/or State)
UK
@D-a-n_L

@maggie3fan what super enclosures/ pond areas! Can you advise as to what substrate brand you use in your enclosure?

I think if unsure I would run with one of the orchid barks from one of the bigger brands...ones to look out for (but maybe not all available in Canada) being Komodo, Reptizoo, Reptibark, and ExoTerra. You know they don't have fertilisers in them and are suitable for reptiles.

Get damping down your coir with a spray bottle, it's much easier to deal with then flattened down by hand. You can really get it quite wet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On the rare occasion I have to set up a box turtle indoors I go to a CLEAN section of my yard and dig up some clean dirt to use as substrate.

Last edited:

LJL1982

UK
People give this high marks for their turtles?

View attachment 351382
That's an expensive one but very popular. You may find a fir bark only larger quantity mix (like this but maybe not branded and like this no fertilisers) for cheap elsewhere but this would be fine for now 😊

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
The orchid bark is not the same as the coco chips. Very different physical properties. I use the coco chips for some of my other reptiles, but never for tortoises.
I found 100% organic orchid bark at Lowes, Yay! I know it is silly but I am excited for him. I’ve been taking care of him so wrong. Recommendation for maintaining the bark, misting, etc.? I misted the coir and it definitely helped with mess. My next project is getting the lighting and diet right. 😎

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Somebody else recommended this. It’s not a mix! Please tell me this is ok. 🤞

View attachment 351415
Flip the bag over and read the ingredients. If it is just "fir bark" then it is fine. Also look at the particle size. It needs to be "fine" which is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces.

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Flip the bag over and read the ingredients. If it is just "fir bark" then it is fine. Also look at the particle size. It needs to be "fine" which is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces.
It doesn’t say on the bag. I can only find it online. Where do you get yours?

LJL1982

UK
That's good then and from what I can see the bits look quite small.

How is building in more of a water bit for him going?

What was he in previously? Dod you say you've had him 19 years?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found some on Amazon. Confirmed with them the 100% organic no chemicals.

View attachment 351422
Organic doesn't matter. Rattlesnake venom is 100% organic. Oleander is 100% organic and 100% vegan too.

On the back of any bag sold in America, they have to list the ingredients. It should only say "fir bark".

I get mine in bulk from local nurseries. $14 for a big 2.0 cu. ft. bag of the stuff:
Orchid Bark.JPG

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
That's good then and from what I can see the bits look quite small.

How is building in more of a water bit for him going?

What was he in previously? Dod you say you've had him 19 years?
Yes we have had him for 18 years. I have twiced the size of the water dish so he can move around in it. Basically a Pyrex baking dish. I am looking for something better though. I’m getting there. Thank you for all your help!

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Organic doesn't matter. Rattlesnake venom is 100% organic. Oleander is 100% organic and 100% vegan too.

On the back of any bag sold in America, they have to list the ingredients. It should only say "fir bark".

I get mine in bulk from local nurseries. $14 for a big 2.0 cu. ft. bag of the stuff:
View attachment 351423
Good info thank you

Reactions: Tom

LJL1982

UK
Yes we have had him for 18 years. I have twiced the size of the water dish so he can move around in it. Basically a Pyrex baking dish. I am looking for something better though. I’m getting there. Thank you for all your help!
Sounds like hes a real member of the family then :)

D-a-n_L

Seattle, WA
Box turtles have much more personality than tortoises. I keep a few just because they are so much fun. But now you need to switch your mindset to semiaquatic. And as you have discovered they are pretty hardy. Darned hard to kill. I use fine grade orchid bark, and it is very hard to find here. Generally speaking you can get it at the big box stores. During the winter I keep all my turtles in tort tables in a couple of rooms.View attachment 351366
When weather permits they are outside in the turtle pond...View attachment 351367
Your box turtle would really like a small pond. Do you have a yard? Please don't tell me he was in that dry tort whatever...This is the prettiest box turtle ever...GingerView attachment 351368

I'm giving you a link to the care sheet for box turtles...Read it then ask your questions. We want to help your box turtle...https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

here's some box turtles having a discussion about slugs and snailsView attachment 351369The care sheet says it's for Eastern Box turtles, but yours fits any description...by soaking I mean fill or make a small pond or pan for the turtle to drink from and put his whole body in. They freakin love berriesView attachment 351370...
ok now, get started...
What kind of turtles are those?

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hoping you’ve worked something out regarding the substrate!

As was said previously, coco coir or coco soil does need to be kept damp otherwise it can become messy. Dust and all… Once it is packed down and kept damp it doesn’t really become a mess unless your animal begins to burrow into it. Just repeating incase you want to give it a try!

Hoping the box turtle care sheets on here are working well for you. Would love to see your turtle again once everything has been sorted regarding the enclosure and general husbandry!

LJL1982

UK
What kind of turtles are those?
The photos @maggie3fan posted were of box turtles, the same as yours albeit older in some of the photos and with varying colours and the care sheet was for Eastern Mud turtles which is a different breed bit with similar care requirements.

How are you doing with Rexs enclosure? Can you post pics so we can see his new home? 🤎