TORTOISE UV LIGHT

ashley_moen

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello...
I have a baby sulcuta and I was just wondering if i need a uv light. i have done a lot of research and i think i am doing everything correctly as far as feeding and probiding for my baby.

i take him out four to five times a week for 30 minutes in sunlight to get uv.
is this enough?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Have a read below, it sounds like it should be enough.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hello...
I have a baby sulcuta and I was just wondering if i need a uv light. i have done a lot of research and i think i am doing everything correctly as far as feeding and probiding for my baby.

is this enough?
Yes. If ur baby is getting a couple hours of sun per week then no need for uvb light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello...

is this enough?
Most of the care info you find or hear for this species is old, out-dated, and wrong. Outside of this forum, our new better info is starting to mix with the old info. Some people are starting to get the idea and some aren't. Its a bit mixed bag of contradictions now, unless its just all the old consistent wrong info. Read that care sheet from Yossarian for the most current and correct info. A few years from now we will know more, and I'll update it again.

The amount of time you've had you baby outside is plenty. No need for indoor UV in your case. And its also fine to skip a few weeks of outside time when we have our cold rainy winter weather. Just get him in the sun during the warmer winter spells.