Tortoise with Open Wounds

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
We just got home from his 3rd vet appointment....they flushed the wounds again, and re-bandaged his front legs.

He pooped after, but hasn't eaten today.

They have given him fluids at the vet (not today), but I'm still concerned that he's going to dehydrate. I have a dish of drinking water in his hospital bin, but I haven't seen him drinking. The vet said to keep him dry, so I haven't soaked him for since Sunday.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure he's staying hydrated, while not soaking his wounds?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I know it isn't commonly suggested, but perhaps feeding him some moisture-laden veggies like cucumber. Also super moist fruits or melons. Aloe and cactus have a lot of moisture.
I'd lean towards the cukes though being they are anti inflammatory and sugar tends to be more inflammatory. Plus mine will eat cukes no matter what.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks the the suggestion! I have some organic cucumbers at my house, so I will try that in the morning. I also have cactus and aloe in my garden....but I've never seen him turn down cucumber (on the occasional time he's had it).

He's supposed to be getting another shot of antibiotics, pain meds, and fluids tomorrow. I really hope his little system can handle it...the wounds were looking a little better today (I couldn't see the bone when they changed the bandages). :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I know he's traumatized with all that has happened. But, you may want to get a baby medicine injector and put some electrolytes in it and grab a hold of his head to force the liquids in his mouth. If he doesn't fight you on that, you may want to inject several times a day. Otherwise, ask the vet to give you what you need to give fluids intravenously. Yhis will prevent dehydration and avoid complications later on.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks Sylvia. Pickles got fluids at the vet today, and did a small poo and a large pee (I think that's a good sign, right?). He also moved around his hospital tank a lot. We have an appointment again in the morning (the vet wanted to see him everyday this week...after tomorrow, we'll wait until Monday)...I think just a bandage change tomorrow.

He said the tissue isn't healing quite as fast as he would like, but it's getting there. They're using a honey patch on his leg wounds (I think it's Medihoney?) to promote healing....and as Pickles is getting stronger, he's making it more difficult during bandage changing times.

So, he has no toes anymore....does anyone know if they will grow back, or will he just have stubby feet?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Look into how they trap and/or kill Mongoose on the Island. Mice will not do that...

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I thought about Mongoose, but was under the impression that they are active during the day. Whatever is after my torts, seems to come after dark (rats are still a possibility). I currently do have a couple of larger (meant for possums, but I would assume it could work for a mongoose too) live traps set in the yard.

Still catching mice daily...that's it. :(

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Just posting a couple of photos of Pickles progress. He moved around a lot today...and ate really well. Not pooping much, and hasn't peed for 3 days.

We go back to the vet tomorrow morning for more antibiotics & fluids.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks! I love the last one too. In the first 2, I was trying to show his healing leg wound. The bandage came off, and it's looking pretty good (considering bone was exposed a week ago).

conservation

10 Year Member!
Rats for sure. They eat the arms and chew through the plastron to get the organs.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks sissyofone...I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I lost 4 hatchlings to this predator along the way, so I carry a lot of feelings of guilt. Now all the small torts are kept inside, and have only supervised outside time.

Pets101, that's exactly what it sounds like. The other ones we lost had their plastron and organs eaten. It didn't get that far with Pickles....he's bigger, and I think I interrupted the attack (looks like the predator tried).