Tortoise with weak legs

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
So I recently came back from a 5 day hiking trip to Algonguin, my mom was feeding my 1 year old redfoot hatchling. Basically my moms a fool didn't really spray him turn the lights on etc etc feed him in a decently deep dish and feed him stuff he most likely wasn't interested in. I literally just got home I soaked him in his warm water and tried to feed him.

The result
Well I soaked him right once I got home and I had him in Luke warm water and he did this really weird thing where he stretched his whole neck out of his shell and starTed looking at me and opening his mouth I was freakish out thinking he was on his deathbed so I took him out ASAP stressing out like crazy I mush up some muzuri in Warm water and placed it on my carpet he walked over and the poor thing could hardly walk on his front legs he looked like every step he was going to flip over so I picked him up and placed his mouth near the food he denied to eat it and then pretty much I'm stuck here stressing and sketchy because I don't want him to die!!

Before I left I had a basic routine with him! I would have him soaking by 12 in the afternoon for 20 minutes then I would feed him and mist his tank and switch on the lights( I kept the Che on half and uv on before I left) but I had a day light lamp 50w what I usually keep on but didn't have on for four days.
I would feed him calcium and repashys super veggie in his meals also.

So basically I'm sketching out and stressed beyond level 100 I bought this tortoise for a ridiculous price as I live in Canada eh and he was pushing $500 so I can't let him die he's a pet for my future kid. As of now my mom best be busting some overtime hours to cough out a replacement I'm pissed off please help I am doomed ! Thanks all,
Brandon

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
A tortoise doesn't go from perfectly healthy to deathbed in just a week. Your mother's care likely had little to do with his current ailment.

I would suggest you find a herp vet in your area. How old is the redfoot? Hatchling failure syndrome is a real thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read this. Does any of this sound like what your tort is doing? http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-23493.html
I don't know what to tell you. I agree one week of no correct lighting, not eating much, etc would not do much to an otherwise healthy tortoise.
Hopefully someone will be able to help you further.
A vet visit maybe your only option.
Good luck, keep us posted. Sure hope all works out okay for the both of you.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sounds like he may have overheated. Check if that is a possibility, ie left in direct sun too long or something like that. If that is the case, I'm sorry, there is no recovery as there is neurological damage. I really hope that is not the case.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sounds like the tort didnt have enough heat for the 5 days? Being in Canada what is your house temperature like this time of the year? ...The tort may have been way too cold while you were gone. If that is the case I'd bring up the temps slightly higher then normal (dont cook him) day and night for a week or two, longer soaks in warm water couple times a day and hope for the best.
Don't worry about the food at the moment. He won't eat till his body temp stabilizes back to normal. Let him be in his warm space, handling him will not help, only may stress him more.
If he doesnt start showing ANY improvement in next 24/36 hours qualified vet visit may be in need. He may have developed respiratory infection or pneumonia.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So are you saying your tort had no heat for 5 days?
That would probably be enough to stress him. If this is the case, how cold did he get?
Either way, you want to warm him up and keep him at a steady warm temp. I would say no lower than 85F minimally with 100F at the basking spot. Keep humidity up.
Dont let things fluctuate until he recoups.