Treated lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordohio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So I started on my outdoor enclosure. I am using railroad ties for the border. Our leopard has this habit though. He always walks to the edge. Whether it is a barrier or a wall. He walks up to it an always takes a bite at it. Doesn't matter what it is. Rock, Brick, drywall, plastic, etc. He never actually bites anything off. But I was thinking the creosote(I think that is what it is called) the railroad ties are soaked in might not be good for him to actually bite at.

So I went to the local lumber store and the best thing I found was 1x6x8 foot boards. I was going to run them around the inside edge of the railroad ties. But the boards are treated lumber. I searched but didn't see anything on if the treated lumber is bad also. Does anyone know??

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I am not sure if it is bad, but I have seen other people on different forums that used pretreated boards. I have not heard of any problems with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Funny you should ask...I just finished watching a show on the DIY network (do it yourself) where he was building a planter box using treated lumber. He said to be sure to remember to never use the planter box to grow something you planned to eat because the treated lumber would leach into the plant.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.