Trouble

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
M

Maggie Cummings

Her name fits, here she is trying to get a yearling box turtle out so she can bat him around....The only cat I have ever had that messes with the chelonia...She's up for adoption. She's had all her shots and is getting spayed Wednesday....So all the work is done, she's special....
BaBRBAOwmP3jWq7TiiBLUziIk1yPx9bcax-AxsGg69g=w216-h161-p-no

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have two like this. I call them the twin terrors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too funny, the crazy cat. I can believe the hot light doesn't bother her. I take it she's the one that does get burnt hair?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Is the turtle nervous or curious when this happens, or completely oblivious?
My Tidgy, when she sees a cat outside, actually approaches them with her head stuck up in the air, not sure if inquisitive or defending her territory.
I always chase the cats away, just in case.
So I think Tidgy may feel she's responsible for getting rid of them!

M

Maggie Cummings

Too funny, the crazy cat. I can believe the hot light doesn't bother her. I take it she's the one that does get burnt hair?

That's her! She lays under a torts CHE and the smell is awful so I go in and she's just snoozin and smokin away...:)

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
You are more patient than I am, that is so uncool ! Invading
the torts "personal space" ! Sorry, not a cat person.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I use hardware cloth to keep the cat out. The cat can sit in the sun supported by that wire screen, and the tortoises are left alone.

Think of it as a mechanical problem. This one has an easy fix.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I found a cat snooping around my back yard last summer. I went to catch it so I could send 4 members some "lucky rabbits feet" but it got away. Never saw it again.

ShannonC

South Carolina
I have a pic of my daughter's cat doing exactly the same thing.......only mine are hatchling Leopards!! Stall can't figure out how she got in there!! There is no opening, so she had to actually open the top somehow!!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
1430838821211.jpg

We built a fancy plexiglass cover to keep these two troublemakers out.... Took us a while to figure out the little sneaks were squeezing through the light hole. But they grew bigger and can't fit now - ha!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cat invasions led to my walling up and roofing up my primary pen.
Cats from all over the neighborhood were sleeping in the hide boxes and using my substrate as a huge litter box.
Motion sensing alarms worked for a little while. The cats figured it out.
I wouldn't harm a cat, but, PLEASE cat people. If you have a cat, the rest of us don't want to take care of it for you! Keep it inside!
Not really related to this thread, sorry.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Cat invasions led to my walling up and roofing up my primary pen.
Cats from all over the neighborhood were sleeping in the hide boxes and using my substrate as a huge litter box.
Motion sensing alarms worked for a little while. The cats figured it out.
I wouldn't harm a cat, but, PLEASE cat people. If you have a cat, the rest of us don't want to take care of it for you! Keep it inside!
Not really related to this thread, sorry.
I'm not a cat or rat lover and you know what happens to rats . So I agree keep cats I the house !

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Poor little Trouble, I would love to adopt her, but she's too far away. :(

By the way, all cats I ever had messed with tortoise hatchlings (or rather would have since they were protected with hardware cloth), I think that's normal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's her! She lays under a torts CHE and the smell is awful so I go in and she's just snoozin and smokin away...:)

Adds a new meaning to putting the cat out!

M

Maggie Cummings

You are more patient than I am, that is so uncool ! Invading
the torts "personal space" ! Sorry, not a cat person.
I am a large cat person, however, that behavior is unacceptable to me. So all of my inside habitats will stay covered until she grows up, or accepts discipline more than not at all...:)

M

Maggie Cummings

And, frankly I do not believe in outside cats and I said that on the chat just recently. Inside cats live app 8 years longer than an outside cat. They get less injuries or disease. My 15 yr old and my 6 yr old cats have been inside since they were kittens. Also my back yard is a designated wildlife area, so I trap any loose cat I can, and take them to a no kill shelter in another town. All my neighbors know I trap cats, so if their cat gets trapped by me, I hope that it gets adopted by a smarter owner. If you knew the crazy lady down the block was trapping cats, would you still let your cat out? Think about it....I would like to think you are smart enough, knowing I will harm the damned thing, to keep it in!

Be good cat owners and keep the damn things in. I was weeding one day, and barehanded grabbed a cat turd. Bout made me puke...

Last edited by a moderator: