TTBT??

taquito23

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
I've found the indoor enclosure post for the boxies...

We were gifted this turtle back in October of last year. I know nothing about her history. She woke up about a month ago after about 7 months in the dirt. I am aware that the enclosure needs some work(she does have one hide, its just not in the photo), she was in brumation so we opt'd not to mess with her Just looking for someone who has made/sustained a successful indoor box home.

1) How did you control the humidity?
2) How many lights/heat sources do you have?
3) Ours doesn't seem to like green food. It likes things that wiggle...should we change that?
4) We live in Dallas and can totally do a small outdoor area on our apartment for a few hours (a few times per week). The apartments might not like it, but we can find a way.
5) Does anyone know what the odd looking indention on her shell is? (circled)

I believe this is a TTBT but I could be wrong....any assistance or guidance towards care sheets, personal experience indoors, or an IDtaquito 1.jpg would be awesome...

Everyone meet Taquito....

Attachments

• taquito 2.jpg
    taquito 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • taquito 3.jpg
    taquito 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • taquito 4.jpg
    taquito 4.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I keep my three toe box turtles outside, but because I've operated a turtle rescue, many of mine are not perfect, and sometimes actually sick. So I do have them indoors occasionally. When indoors they live in an Iris Christmas Tree Storage Bin. It's about 5' x 2'. The substrate is MOISTENED dirt from their outside yard mixed with fir bark. I have many, many plants in there, which helps to keep up the humidity, and to act as visual barriers. I use a plant pot saucer sunk into the substrate for water and a ceramic tile to feed on. Because of the numerous plants I don't have any actual hiding structures. Most folks here on the Forum don't recommend the use of colored lights, but I've been using black lights to heat my indoor enclosures for over 25 years with no ill effects. I have two hanging fixtures that each have a black light bulb, one at each end. The two bulbs keep the enclosure warm enough. I also have a T5 UVB fluorescent light over the middle of the enclosure and the plants help with shade for the turtle.

The main thing - humidity! Moistened substrate! Because you have to water the plants to keep them alive, the enclosure is always humid.

I don't know what's wrong with your turtle's shell because I can't see the area well enough in the picture, but I suspect it's nothing to worry about.

christmas tree bin 2-8-21 a.jpgchristmas tree bin 2-8-21 b.jpg

I had three different groups of babies in the bin above, that's why there are dividers.

Reactions: Ink

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Could you send a closer photo of the shell (the spot you are concerned about)? You need to switch the water dish you have to the one Yvonne recommends ASAP, the one you have now is a drowning hazard. If you can't gt him outside, you need to get a artificial UV light.