Two Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
[/size][/font]Hi... We just purchased two Russian tortoises (one from Petco and one from PetSmart). However, I went to a private pet store (to look for housing decor) and got a tongue lashing because I didn't realize our Russians were probably wild-caught. I thought I did all my homework before deciding to get them for our girls. They are both in separate Christmas-tree-big, opaque totes with UVB and heat. I have coconut bedding, hids and so forth. I'm just now feeling guilty because they weren't bred in captivity.

Since I'm new, I'll figure out the way to post pics. I am certain this forum will offer a wealth of information. Thanks, All![size=medium]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hey stop feeling guilty. What you did was fine, those tortoise deserve a great life too. The private pet store was out of line and no doubt just ticked because you did not buy from them. I for one am glad you got them. Welcome to TFO!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, WItortoisemom!

Russians (steppe) are not in danger of becoming extinct in the wild, and though I can't really condone the poor conditions they are kept in prior and during shipment, there really is nothing wrong with buying a wc steppe tortoise (in my opinion).

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The private pet store is trying to make a point, I suppose, but, hey, you are allowing these torts a great life.
You have done your homework and it sounds as if your torts are very glad you brought them home.
They are different than any other pet, but once you get to know them, you can get very attached.
Glad you got them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The private pet store tongue lasher sounds like an idiot. Many of the imported ones are farm raised and not wild caught anyway. There is nothing wrong with WC or farm raised, so don't you worry about it in the least. You should not feel guilty in any way. They are not endangered, and a lot of them die in the wild from all sorts of natural causes. These two will have a healthy, happy, predator free, parasite free life with plenty of good food and clean water.

Here is what you can do to give them the best life possible and hopefully feel a little better about things.
1. Make sure they have some drinking water in a nice shallow dish. I prefer terra cotta plant saucers. Most pet store bowls are too deep, steep and slick.
2. Research their diet and grow your own weeds and stuff for them. Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a Testudo seed mix that I really like. There is a weed ID section here on the forum to help you ID the weeds near you.
3. Research their temp and enclosure needs to make sure you get it right BEFORE there is a problem.
4. Don't let your dogs eat them. (or anyone else's dogs if you don't have any) Might sound silly right now, but it is a common and easily preventable tragedy.
5. Make a large, secure, well planted, interesting enclosure for them to be outside in whenever the weather permits.
6. Since these guys are brand new, I would soak them in warm shallow water in a tub of some sort three times a week for at least a month or so. Many times they are dehydrated when they come out of those chain stores.

I commend you on keeping them separate as Russians are very scrappy and often fight and tear each other up. Once you figure out the sexes, maybe you could let them breed in their large outdoor pen and then you would be giving back to the species more than what you have taken from the species. :) But that is sometime in the future and depends on the sexes.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...congratulations on your new additions..Tom pretty much said it all....

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! I am nuts for my Russians. They are a great species with loads of personality! While I personally do not encourage WC tortoise purchasing, imported torts can never be returned to their native environment so they need homes also.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Hi there, Thanks to all for your kind welcomes. I do feel a bit better now. We did measure them today, and one is 4.5 inches and the other is 5 (both girls). We were going to wait until tomorrow to soak them, as we've only had them since Saturday, and we didn't want to cause too much stress. They are both out and about in their enclosures; one isn't eating quite yet, but at least she is basking herself. Will upload pictures shortly (if I can!). We do want to build an outdoor enclosure too. :) JWHITE, I'm from the La Crosse area.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome! :D It's really great that you found 2 females, I'm not sure about elsewhere in the US but here it's pretty uncommon to find a female Russian for sale, much less at pet stores XD

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
mira_kaylee said:
Welcome! :D It's really great that you found 2 females, I'm not sure about elsewhere in the US but here it's pretty uncommon to find a female Russian for sale, much less at pet stores XD

Yes, they are both girls (short, stubby tails that are straight out as much as they can be and not to the side). One of my girls wanted a boy, she is happy with her gal.:rolleyes:

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
They are two girls, for sure! Tortoises are much easier to sex than beardies (which we also have one of).

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
I'm going to soak them for the first time. I'm thinking 10 minutes to start? Does that sound all right? Thanks!

MyrnaBren

5 Year Member
New Hampshire USA
Welcome, I'm sure those tortoises are happy to be where they are now! And sounds like those girls have a great mom :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
10 minutes is fine, baby bath warm water.

10 minutes is fine, baby bath warm water. OK to stretch it out to 15" or so, just make sure the water doesn't cool off too much.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
MyrnaBren said:
Welcome, I'm sure those tortoises are happy to be where they are now! And sounds like those girls have a great mom :)

Thanks, MyrnaBren!!!

lynnedit said:
10 minutes is fine, baby bath warm water.

10 minutes is fine, baby bath warm water. OK to stretch it out to 15" or so, just make sure the water doesn't cool off too much.

Excellent. Thank you!!! They did well. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.