Tyler Update :)

Dan Tennick

Hey all!

Just thought i would post a few pics of Tyler and his brand new set up!

I recently got him a new table which is much larger than his old one and also ditched the MVB Bulb and went for a UV Strip and basking Lamp which is fitted to a Habistat Dimming Thermostat which keeps the temperature in his basking area at the same level.

As you can see, he really enjoys having a walk around his new home and i'm very happy with it. Cost quite a bit of money but he is certainly worth it.

He's a one year old Horsfield and we're in LOVE with him! I've only had him a month so he is still quite shy but his personality is coming out in small steps! His old enclosure was only 3ft and i felt that this was not good enough and also the MV Bulb was just too hot and i couldn't get it to the right temperature.

I hope you all like his new Enclosure and Pics!

Thanks all,

Dan

Attachments

• image (11).jpeg
    image (11).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • image (12).jpeg
    image (12).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • image (13).jpeg
    image (13).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • image (14).jpeg
    image (14).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 59
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Wow, that's so nice and big! :D I bet he's happy... Great for using the tube light :p
Okay, got to ask some questions! How deep does that substrate go? It looks kinds thin, and russians like to burrow. It also looks dry. Misting daily, and even pouring water down into and swirling around will help SO much. That water dish looks steep! Torts have a hard time climbing in/out of dishes that are steeper...
Terra cotta saucers are a good choice, because they come in many different sizes, are shallower, so less steep, are are hard, so it will help file down nails. :D It looks great though, good job!

Dan Tennick

Wow, that's so nice and big! :D I bet he's happy... Great for using the tube light :p
Okay, got to ask some questions! How deep does that substrate go? It looks kinds thin, and russians like to burrow. It also looks dry. Misting daily, and even pouring water down into and swirling around will help SO much. That water dish looks steep! Torts have a hard time climbing in/out of dishes that are steeper...
Terra cotta saucers are a good choice, because they come in many different sizes, are shallower, so less steep, are are hard, so it will help file down nails. :D It looks great though, good job!

Thanks :) it is a good size and he seems to enjoy the space!

Ok, the substrate is quite thin but I will be cleaning it out at the weekend and will be putting a lot more in then. The water dish will be getting replaced next week when I get paid. :) and it does look dry, I tend to spray it every night when he's in his hide a sleep and just before I go up to bed :) I will put a bit more water in from now on :)

Thank you again!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your getting there! :) Spraying is often not enough to keep the substrate damp enough, you may need to add water and mix it in every so often along with spraying.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your enclosure is really nice. Your little one has lots of room to explore.

What kind of substrate are your using? I use coir (Eco Earth) for my Russian hatchlings and yearlings. I have it around 5 inches deep and I keep it moist underneath. When it gets dry underneath I take everything out and dump warm water in and mix it all up. They love to burrow down into it. Every day I spray down the enclosure with warm water. So far my Russian hatchlings and yearlings have very smooth shells.

Dan Tennick

Your enclosure is really nice. Your little one has lots of room to explore.

What kind of substrate are your using? I use coir (Eco Earth) for my Russian hatchlings and yearlings. I have it around 5 inches deep and I keep it moist underneath. When it gets dry underneath I take everything out and dump warm water in and mix it all up. They love to burrow down into it. Every day I spray down the enclosure with warm water. So far my Russian hatchlings and yearlings have very smooth shells.

Thank you :) Its a 50:50 mix of Sand and Top Soil. :) Will try Eco Earth :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You might want to lower the amount of sand to a lower percentage. No saying throw away what you have for substrate now, but just add more top soil or the coir/eco earth (if you do try it).