Unacceptable dog breed list

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
i know nice pitbulls and i know labradors that would maul a child,i dont think a dog should nessesarily be judged by its breed maybe taken into consideration but not judged,ive owned pitbulls nice and mean and ive been prejudged everywhere i lived or moved,i currently have no dogs since moving to california,and this reason i jus explained is why i choose not to own a pitt or rottweiller.BUT MOST OF ALL PITTS ARE JUDGED WITH GOOD REASON ALOTTA PEOPLE MISSUSE THESE GUYS.sorry if i got alittle of subject,i jus dont agree how dogs are judged.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I want a doberman pup so bad I can taste it, but I just bought my visiting grand daughter an IPad, so I have to put the puppy on the back burner.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
The problem with this list is that I didn't see, American Straffordshire...aka Pit Bull.

I own a 14 yr old Bull Terrier. You know Spuds, Erin the Target dog. I have a picture of my Great Niece riding on her when the niece was 3 months old.

I am including a picture of what happens when you leave a two year old around a member of the unacceptable breed list.....don't look if you have a weak stomach....it will just amaze you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
I want a doberman pup so bad I can taste it, but I just bought my visiting grand daughter an IPad, so I have to put the puppy on the back burner.
So tell me how does doberman taste?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well...the dingo and wolf are listed...but where's the coyote and African wild dog? I know several people who have one or the other...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
emysemys said:
So tell me how does doberman taste?

Its the "wanting" that has a flavor, not the dog. And THAT tastes like glue.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DixieParadise said:
The problem with this list is that I didn't see, American Straffordshire...aka Pit Bull.

I own a 14 yr old Bull Terrier. You know Spuds, Erin the Target dog. I have a picture of my Great Niece riding on her when the niece was 3 months old.

I am including a picture of what happens when you leave a two year old around a member of the unacceptable breed list.....don't look if you have a weak stomach....it will just amaze you.

The pitbull is on most if not all our lists.

DeanS said:
Well...the dingo and wolf are listed...but where's the coyote and African wild dog? I know several people who have one or the other...

I've never ran into any of those while insuring someone and I've been doing this for 6 years now.

I'm sure they are out there...they just stay low key I'm sure.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
that kid coloring on the pit bull is great and as long as there raised rite they will treat a child like family and take alotta punishment from kids befoire resulting to violence alot more than some dogs....

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
i never understand why retrievers aren't on these lists. They are responsible for the most injuries to humans.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Zouave said:
i never understand why retrievers aren't on these lists. They are responsible for the most injuries to humans.

That's what I've been told.

Golden retrievers are always shown as lovable family dogs in the media and Hollywood.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
FernandoM said:
Zouave said:

That's what I've been told.

Golden retrievers are always shown as lovable family dogs in the media and Hollywood.

Blondes have more fun i guess?

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
TEXASSSS
DEFINATELY PIT BULLS AND ROTTS AND ANY BULLLY BREED I WORK AT A VETS OFFICE AND THOSE ARE THE DEF MORE SCARY AND DANGEROUS
LIKE SAID BEFORE, CHIHUAHUAS PROBABLY HAVE A BIGGER PRECENTAGE OF BEING NASTY BUT THE OTHERS CAUSE ALOT MORE DAMAGE

I WOULDNT SAY AKITA OR HUSKY THOUGH, I CANNOT RECALL ONE OF THOSE BREEDS IN MY PRACTICE THAT HAD A BAD ATTITUDE BUT YOU ALSO NEVER KNOWW WITH DOGGIES

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
kendallllmcd said:
DEFINATELY PIT BULLS AND ROTTS AND ANY BULLLY BREED I WORK AT A VETS OFFICE AND THOSE ARE THE DEF MORE SCARY AND DANGEROUS
LIKE SAID BEFORE, CHIHUAHUAS PROBABLY HAVE A BIGGER PRECENTAGE OF BEING NASTY BUT THE OTHERS CAUSE ALOT MORE DAMAGE

I WOULDNT SAY AKITA OR HUSKY THOUGH, I CANNOT RECALL ONE OF THOSE BREEDS IN MY PRACTICE THAT HAD A BAD ATTITUDE BUT YOU ALSO NEVER KNOWW WITH DOGGIES
I am just throwing thois out there, but maybe since a pit bull bite is bigger and more serious that is why you see more of them than say a chi chi's bite since they would be smaller and more treatable, like I said I have been snapped at by more chi chi's than i have pit bulls in my years here on this planet.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
AN Akita decided to taste my arm once. :| nearly pooped myself!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
kendallllmcd said:

I would hate to go to a vet that had predetermined how my Pit Bull "might act".-- In fact, if I noticed this was the case, it would be the last time I did business there. Not once have any of my Pitties (personal or rescue) needed a muzzle at the vet, let alone growled or snapped. On the other hand, we had a 5 pound Chihuahua who needed to be muzzled and acted like she would rip the vet's head off.... growling, snapping, lunging, etc.

I guess if you feed into the ignorance, one would go to work with that in their head and have the tendency to already be afraid of the dog, regardless of it's temperament or socialization aspects.

Regardless of the breed, people tend to be more afraid of larger dogs than smaller dogs, as they fall into the misconception that smaller dogs can't do that much harm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kendallllmcd said:

My wife was a vet tech for 13 years, and she is still in the veterinary field as a consultant. (Much higher pay than a tech :)) She and every tech that she worked with had no fear of the bully breeds as they knew that no matter what you did to them, they would seldom bite, but as soon as a retriever or lab walked through the door, they all knew to exercise caution as these would almost always try to bite when handled by strangers. I'm not saying that ALL pit bulls are angels, they aren't. I've dealt with several bad ones in my career. The bad ones are very few and far between though. By comparison, I've dealt with a whole lotta aggressive goldens. I see lots of ill tempered labs too, but most lab owners seem to just accept it or make excuses for it.

If I were making these lists, as a real world professional who actually deals with all of these breeds on a daily basis, pit bull would not even be in the running. There are dozens of breeds that should be on a "ban" list ahead of the pit bulls. I still say ban lists are ridiculous and serve as another example of the oncoming downfall of our society.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have to agree with Tom and APBT....When people come to my house, I try to keep my chi's in my bedroom if it's people that they aren't familiar with. Also when people are about to leave, I have to pick one of them up as she will try and nip their ankle. My Bully would stand by the steps if someone was coming in and if we told him it was OK...that was it. It was like he understood what we said. Of all my dogs, he was the sweetest and best I ever had. He made us laugh all the time. Yet, when we walked him, people would actually cross the street.

"I would hate to go to a vet that had predetermined how my Pit Bull "might act".-- In fact, if I noticed this was the case, it would be the last time I did business there."
I totally agree with this.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I think it is rediculous to ban breeds! Why not ban a certain religion or proffession, there must be statistics for who parties the most or gets more arrests. I agree ban the deed not the breed. Why not just make dog owners with those breeds prove the dag has had obedience training and been evaluated by a trainer to be non-aggressive or obedient?? That would encourage good ownership and not punish good dog owners.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wrmitchell22 said:
I think it is rediculous to ban breeds! Why not ban a certain religion or proffession, there must be statistics for who parties the most or gets more arrests. I agree ban the deed not the breed. Why not just make dog owners with those breeds prove the dag has had obedience training and been evaluated by a trainer to be non-aggressive or obedient?? That would encourage good ownership and not punish good dog owners.

That would be a great idea, however, the Insurance company would then get complaints about how the insured has to pay additional costs to put their dogs through the training and how they feel it's not necessary and the insurance company should just take their word for it. Trust me, I've heard it all! haha.

What we try to do here at the insurance AGENCY, is if the client says he has one of the dogs from the list, that he/she EXCLUDE the coverage for the animal and sign a liability exclusion form relieving the company from any future liability loss from any animal he or she may posses on or off the property.

This usually works except that sometimes the insured will say "Well what IF my dog does something that I have no control over" ...yeah I've heard that one too. We then have to tell that person that we don't have a market for them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.