tazpjm

Location (City and/or State)
Qatar
This is my 2 year old tortoise and i have been really confused as to what species, I cant tell if shes a Tunisian, Egyptian, or Hermann's tortoise.
20211004_151248.jpg20211004_151234.jpg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What you have is a Greek tortoise, and the subspecies is Testudo graeca terrestris. Nabuelensis (Tunesian) tends to have either a nearly all black plastron or much larger fan-shaped black spots on each of the plastral scutes.

Egyptian tortoises have two large triangular 'chevrons' on the plastron, as well as many other different features. They are more closely related to Marginated than Greek:

Where did you get your tortoise? Is there a reason you think it's a Tunesian tortoise? Was it sold to you as such?

tazpjm

Qatar
What you have is a Greek tortoise, and the subspecies is Testudo graeca terrestris. Nabuelensis (Tunesian) tends to have either a nearly all black plastron or much larger fan-shaped black spots on each of the plastral scutes.

Egyptian tortoises have two large triangular 'chevrons' on the plastron, as well as many other different features. They are more closely related to Marginated than Greek:

Where did you get your tortoise? Is there a reason you think it's a Tunesian tortoise? Was it sold to you as such?
Thank you so much! I got her from a standing market. I was researching about the different subspecies and found her similar to the tunesian tortoise, but later on saw how similar she is to an Egyptian tortoise. I was just told she was a female tortoise and had to do the researching myself.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Ah that makes sense. These are usually sold as "golden Greeks." Both Egyptians and Tunesians are rare and fetch high prices, in the $1000 range for an Egyptian and at least $500 for Tunesian (though these are even rarer, so this could be a low estimate).

I would say this is female as well. My T.g. terrestris started showing signs of being male at only about 1 year, at a weight of 180-190 g

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you so much! I got her from a standing market. I was researching about the different subspecies and found her similar to the tunesian tortoise, but later on saw how similar she is to an Egyptian tortoise. I was just told she was a female tortoise and had to do the researching myself.
So you're not really in New Jersey, are you?

tazpjm

Qatar
Ah that makes sense. These are usually sold as "golden Greeks." Both Egyptians and Tunesians are rare and fetch high prices, in the $1000 range for an Egyptian and at least $500 for Tunesian (though these are even rarer, so this could be a low estimate).

I would say this is female as well. My T.g. terrestris started showing signs of being male at only about 1 year, at a weight of 180-190 g
wow! I never knew she was rare I got her for $11?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Wow $11 is a great price for a tortoise!

Sorry, I thought you were in the US. Egyptians and Tunesians are the rare ones, at least here; terrestris are fairly common in the trade. Still, I paid about $250 for mine!

Be sure to read the care sheets if you have not:

tazpjm

Qatar
Wow $11 is a great price for a tortoise!

Sorry, I thought you were in the US. Egyptians and Tunesians are the rare ones, at least here; terrestris are fairly common in the trade. Still, I paid about $250 for mine!

Be sure to read the care sheets if you have not:

Thank you! I will be sure to read these as soon as I can! I live in the middle east so tunisian tortoises are quite common?