Unsure of species

SoCalRyan

Location (City and/or State)
California
Ok, my daughters were given 2 torts. Told both were leopards. I have them separated in their own enclosures. They act, live and look completely different. One is undeniably a leopard have no doubt. The other, I'm not so sure. This one buries itself in the substrate to the point that I cant even see it. I'll post a picture of both, but you'll know the one I have a question about. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you very much from a confused newbie. 1536892551993.jpeg20180913_192558.jpeg20180913_192551.jpeg20180913_192545.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They both look like leopards to me.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both leopards. Their colors change as they grow.

Some leopards will shimmy down into the substrate to avoid the elements. They don't really "dig" or "burrow" like a sulcata or desert tortoises.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve these temps? UV? What type of bulbs?

SoCalRyan

California
Both leopards. Their colors change as they grow.

Some leopards will shimmy down into the substrate to avoid the elements. They don't really "dig" or "burrow" like a sulcata or desert tortoises.

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve these temps? UV? What type of bulbs?
Don't have a temp gun yet, but will be getting one soon. I do have digital thermometers on either side of both enclosures nearest the basking area and cool side. The hot side usually reaches about 100 degrees I assume it's a little higher in the baking area under the lamp. The cool side is about 85. If I turn the heat lamp off at night it will get down to 75. If I raise the heat lamp it will stay closer to 90. Will eventually get a temp control unit.

I have 2 mini dual lamp units (one for each enclosure). I think it's by zoo med. They are over the basking areas with 100 watt red heat bulbs. And a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb on the other side. The two enclosures are right next to each other so I hung an extra 18" zilla uvb in the middle to cover what the mini domes don't get. The UVBs are on a timer.

SoCalRyan

California
Also Tom, you know it's still nice and hot here so I get them outside in a portable enclosure for a couple hours a few times a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't have a temp gun yet, but will be getting one soon. I do have digital thermometers on either side of both enclosures nearest the basking area and cool side. The hot side usually reaches about 100 degrees I assume it's a little higher in the baking area under the lamp. The cool side is about 85. If I turn the heat lamp off at night it will get down to 75. If I raise the heat lamp it will stay closer to 90. Will eventually get a temp control unit.

I have 2 mini dual lamp units (one for each enclosure). I think it's by zoo med. They are over the basking areas with 100 watt red heat bulbs. And a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb on the other side. The two enclosures are right next to each other so I hung an extra 18" zilla uvb in the middle to cover what the mini domes don't get. The UVBs are on a timer.

You don't want the basking area over 100. This will contribute to more pyramiding.

You don't want any part of the enclosure to drop below 80, day or night. This risks respiratory infection with the needed damp conditions.

No red or colored bulbs should be used over tortoises, especially not during the day, and especially not in combination with a UV bulb.

Those screw in type cfl UV bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and they sometimes damage reptile eyes. They should not be used.

Your 18" UV tube is safe, but if its a 5.0, its not doing anything for UV. If its a 10.0, it needs to be mounted no more than 10-12" from the tortoises for there to be any UV benefit from it. Higher than that and its a nice light source for day time. If your tortoises are getting access to direct sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure, then they don't need indoor UV, so can can leave the tube where it is.

Sounds like you got a lot of the wrong pet store advice and products. Did they also sell you one of those ramped water bowls? All of this and more is explained in detail in those links that TechnoCheese left for you in post number 4.