UVB Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

geckos65

5 Year Member
OMG so confusing!
can I use a plant UVB fluorescent type bulb that you buy at a hydroponic store. The room is quite warm as it is a reptile room. I will use a regular bulb for basking spot.
Thanks for your help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You can use that for additional light however I would make certain to have the appropriate reptile uvb as well....others here will likely offer their input...the more the merrier :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have never personally used one of these, but from what I hear those types of bulbs make for some of the best reptile lighting you could provide.I'm hoping to pick one of those types up here soon.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As long as the light is really UVB, and not 'plain UV' or UVA only, it should be fine. If the bulb tells you the wavelengths it emits, make sure it is emitting 280nanometers since that is the wavelength that lets skin turn light to vitamin D.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark hit it. It depends on the spectrum of light emitted. Even though the room is warm, they still need a warm basking spot. Somewhere around 100 for most species and situations. It also matters whether or not this will be your sole source of UV all the time or if the tortoise will get out for some sun regularly.

Akronic

5 Year Member
if you bought it at a Hydro store, those are probably just UVA most plants (if any) dont need UVB. are they T-8/12 or T-5? chances are those fluorescent tubes are only designed to emit 6500K-12000K lumens. and the nanometers is more like 450-650nm its mostly visible light

HtVic

5 Year Member
yes, you can use those.
but I suggest you buy those only for reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.