Ventilation in an aquarium

byviolet

Hi! I've got a 60gal aquarium for my baby redfoot, and it's been really hard to get temps/humidity high so I decided to cover the top with a screen and the cover the screen with some plastic. My question now is that there is obviously now going to be very restricted airflow in the aquarium. I've left a hole maybe 6cm in diameter in one end but is this enough? should I make it bigger?

The cover has been on for around half a month now so does that mean that he's okay with it? Just asking because he spends most of his day hiding.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I used covered aquariums for hatchling/small torts with no problem.
Excessive air flow will take all that "good" hot and humid air away from the tortoise, so your cover was a good idea.

byviolet

yes but dont they need air? I'm not sure where they will get air if I try to seal everything up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plenty of air exchange happens from the hole you left and every time you open the top for feeding, cleaning and maintenance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't keep RFs and I've seen lots of conflicting info from successful keepers. I'd rather one of those successful keepers advise you on correct temps.