Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
OK awesome! Thank you for the information! So I guess I’m confused, you said it was too hot outside, but she is OK to be outside as long as she can burrow? So if she isn’t able to burrow because the ground is hard or she’s little should we dig a burrow for her, how deep should it be? As far as what he meant by ice and reptile heater, I have no specifics. He was vague in his texts. Again thank you for the info!!
Its too hot on the surface outside. Just a foot or two underground, it is much cooler. As they dig deeper, it gives them the option of adjusting their core temp by moving up or down in their burrow. I encourage burrows where I want them by digging some dirt up and starting them where I want them. The more you start it, the more likely they are to get into it and keep it going.

They have no trouble digging into hard dirt, including that AZ caliche, but your baby is still too small for this. Your baby needs to live mostly indoors in a large closed chamber with heat and humidity until it gets to around 10 inches. Read that first thread I linked back in post number 15 for how to do this.

emergeartistry

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix arizona
Its too hot on the surface outside. Just a foot or two underground, it is much cooler. As they dig deeper, it gives them the option of adjusting their core temp by moving up or down in their burrow. I encourage burrows where I want them by digging some dirt up and starting them where I want them. The more you start it, the more likely they are to get into it and keep it going.

They have no trouble digging into hard dirt, including that AZ caliche, but your baby is still too small for this. Your baby needs to live mostly indoors in a large closed chamber with heat and humidity until it gets to around 10 inches. Read that first thread I linked back in post number 15 for how to do this.
Oh awesome thank you so much! FYI, I was not home when I was reading through the original one and I had bad service at work, but I’ll check out the links now that I’m home. Very very good information.