We need a "no holds barred" section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
For grown ups that can handle a heated debate. It's getting old seeing all the mod deletions (however necessary they think it is)

I feel I gain more knowledge from a real debate...not censored...I do disagree with name calling but I am a bigboy and can handle it just fine.

What say you?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't think it could be confined to one section of the forum, there would be some bleed through and it would poison the rest of the forum. I think the easier fix would be for everyone involved to act like grownups and be the bigger person.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I belong to many forums, and there are lots of debates. There's NO name calling, everyone still likes each other, they act like adults, and they all respect each other's opinions. I don't understand why it can't be the same here. It seems like if someone on this forum doesn't like another person, they go after them, and try to discredit everything they post, even if it's not on the debate section. We already have a debate section, so why can't everyone just be civil on there?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Az tortoise compound said:
For grown ups that can handle a heated debate.

What say you?

I say given your first prerequisite, you won't get most to be allowed to post. That's the current problem, we have members who are suppose to be adults, but can't or choose not to act like adults.

terryo said:
I belong to many forums, and there are lots of debates. There's NO name calling, everyone still likes each other, they act like adults, and they all respect each other's opinions. I don't understand why it can't be the same here. It seems like if someone on this forum doesn't like another person, they go after them, and try to discredit everything they post, even if it's not on the debate section. We already have a debate section, so why can't everyone just be civil on there?
Well said!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
terryo said:

Yep I agree with that :) if you disagree or dont like the post ignore it an move on it's getting old all the bickering let's get along people :D

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I welcome a mod-less area. I will not participate in this forum while good members (sometimes behaving badly) are censored. There is a wealth of info here and valuable members none of which needs their comments edited.

If the mods here disagree with freedom of speech I offer my help in setting up an alternative forum for the heated debates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The comments that were edited out were derogatory towards other members. I would hope that you would appreciate if we kept unkind comments that were directed towards YOU edited out too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
OllieInAZ said:
I welcome a mod-less area. I will not participate in this forum while good members (sometimes behaving badly) are censored. There is a wealth of info here and valuable members none of which needs their comments edited.

If the mods here disagree with freedom of speech I offer my help in setting up an alternative forum for the heated debates.

Sorry you choose to not participate in this forum.

The Mods have no disagreement with freedom of speech, in fact we bend over backward to allow it. What we do disagree with is folks mocking each other, name calling each other, and doing things only to hurt or try to lessen other members opinions, thoughts and values.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
terryo said:

I totally agree with you, I got a -1 rating from 2 senior members for sticking up for Tom, because they called him a liar and said he knew nothing about Torts, seriously...... Grow up and act like adults and we can disagree respectfully. some people don't know how to disagree without name calling. What they fail to realize is that acting like a child makes their credibility go to crap! Why would I trust someone that has to belittle others to get their point across. Anyway, I love this forum, but there will always be a few bad apples :(

squamata said:
that gets my vote

Of course it does;)

emysemys said:
The comments that were edited out were derogatory towards other members. I would hope that you would appreciate if we kept unkind comments that were directed towards YOU edited out too.

:cool: good for you, keep up the good work, not everyone wants or welcomes te negativity and name calling. I for one appreciate your effort! :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
My main concern with this idea is, there are young people on the forum.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Az tortoise compound said:
For grown ups that can handle a heated debate. It's getting old seeing all the mod deletions (however necessary they think it is)

I feel I gain more knowledge from a real debate...not censored...I do disagree with name calling but I am a bigboy and can handle it just fine.

What say you?

Nah, the trolls would leap at the opportunity to post without the moderators around, and would soon be running amok. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now that everyone has had their say, can we get back on topic?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
HEY!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone needs to be quiet in here and give ME some points! :p

About the subject, I personally think less moderating would make the forum more informative. Getting upset and aggressive with each other is just part of a debate in some cases. My opinion is that if you don't want your opinion questioned or belittled than don't share it. And if you are going to make claims and assertions, people have the right to question that and point out inconsistencies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I think A no holds barred section would be wrong, it would be a place that might scare newbies off, for fear of angering someone, and there are quite a few people who can't argue without name calling or " implying something" I would continue to be here and offering help and advice with or without the rep points. And if you give someone a neg rep point simply because they did you one is childish and taking back a neg point is cowardice IMHO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anything not pertaining to the original topic after you were warned to get back on topic has been removed from the thread by Yvonne.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Not that I debate much here, but maybe to satisfy both sides

This section was only allowed to be entered after you've posted here for some time and that administrator or moderator can allow you in, based on your maturity and or number of posts.

I know it's possible for that type of modification to a forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, Fernando, you're saying that it wouldn't be an open forum and no one can see it unless they've been approved to be entered into it? A mod would have to allow you in?

I would go for something like that.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You are correct. And I'm sure the forum member would have to reach a certain number of posts or something of that nature, to be allowed in by Josh or a Mod. This way younger people and newbies can't just join in on the debate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why don't you sketch something out and post it in the development section. As long as no one can be privvy to it without approval, I think it would be a good idea. Even the mods wouldn't have to go in there if we didn't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.