Weird sores on dog's face

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Area, Texas
We recently offered a home to a dog that had been dropped off at a local bar. After a couple of days, I noticed some strange sores on his muzzle. They start out as a bump under his skin, and turn into the picture below. No puss, blood, itching, soreness or anything. This all transpired over the last couple of days. You can see a bump with hair on it still towards the bridge of his nose. Any ideas?

20130116_103434.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh poor thing...but how wonderful that you gave him a home. Now to the expensive part. I think he needs to see a vet who is familiar with dog allergies. And I would do it soon in case it's something contagious.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, not sure. i saved a kitten once and it has something like that. it was ring worm. anyway , good luck.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
emysemys said:
Oh poor thing...but how wonderful that you gave him a home. Now to the expensive part. I think he needs to see a vet who is familiar with dog allergies. And I would do it soon in case it's something contagious.

I was kind of thinking the allergy thing myself. It's almost like they were hives, and then the hair is falling off. Been trying to think of anything that he could be allergic to at my house, since it didnt start until a few days after we got him.

momo said:
hi, not sure. i saved a kitten once and it has something like that. it was ring worm. anyway , good luck.

Thanks! I was thinking hives, ringworm, allergies. Gave bot flies a brief thought, but then remembered just how wicked those suckers look on an animal, lol.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
looks like ringworm. Its a fungus.. not a parasite.. but can be contagious. probably best to consult a vet for treatment..
At the Shelters they do Lyme Dips... I know betadine can work too, as well as fungal cremes. but when its that bad, you need something that gets down the skin all over.
Good luck!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Interesting.
I would definitely seek the advice of a vet.
Fungus?
Food allergy?

Please let us know!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How is your dog doing? Did you find out what was wrong?
Please let us know!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just on his muzzle? Can you see if he has any red circles on his chest under his fur at all? Either way veterinarian should be consulted. Could be ring worm, mange, or somethi.g serious.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It could be ringworm or sarcopic mange which are both contagious to humans. I am guessing the poor thing was from a neglected and dirty home and needs a vet and a good grooming. Poor baby, what a sweet face!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
You can test for ringworm/fungal growth by using a blacklight in a dark room. If it fluoresces (glows) then it's fungal. But, a skin scraping and possibly an aspirate should be done to determine if it's fungal, bacterial, etc. to get the right medicines on board.

My dog has allergies and has done a lot of damage to his skin, but he didn't have anything like this. He even had secondary skin infections but it presented as redness and baldness all over. Since you said you recently saved him, you should have him taken in to the vet to get him at the very least a rabies, distemper, and parvo vaccine. And depending on your area, heartworm tested and put on flea/tick/heartworm preventative (needed year round in Texas and other warmer places). And probably a fecal sample to rule out internal parasites/get de-wormed.

Best of luck!

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
Well, it's ringworm. We have an oral and topical anti-fungal. We also have our fingers crossed that no one else in the house gets it. Will keep everyone updated.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Keep chlorahexadine on hand for washing the areas as well as your hands/anything she comes in contact with. When I worked at vet clinics I'd wash my hands/arms down with it after holding ringworm positive animals and never ended up contracting it or bringing it home to my pets. A lot of vets I knew used it as well. Keep an eye out for red rings or itchy spots on your skin. It likes to show up in places like under watches or rings where moisture is trapped.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
RuthieHurry said:
Well, it's ringworm. We have an oral and topical anti-fungal. We also have our fingers crossed that no one else in the house gets it. Will keep everyone updated.

Well at least it is treatable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.