What is the best way to mark/ID torts of the same size/species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Can you all give me some ideas of how to mark/ID a group of torts
of the same age and species? For record keeping, health, etc?
I didn't know if I used a permanent marker would it wear off after a
year or two, which is fine. Give them each an initial.
Or maybe a dot of nail polis? Each with their own color?
I really need some suggestions on this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen some marked with chalk and some with nail polish. Just don't make the area between the scutes, where the new growth shows. I don't know if a marker would be safe of not. They smell so bad, I would worry that there would be something bad in it. I don't have personal experience, just what I have seen others do. Hold one to see what others say.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
I worked with a gentleman that had a large number or torts. He used a dot of nail polish on the back end of the carapace. He gave all the torts ID numbers then had a system of numbering the scutes. Starting at the back of the carapace going to the right the edge scutes were numbered 1,2,4,8 then going to the left they were numbered 10,20,40,80. He placed the nail polish on the scutes to indicate their ID number. Example ID number 13, place a dot on the 10, 1, and 2 scutes, this equals 13. Does that make sense? He had lot of torts plus worked with gopher tort relocation and needed to be able to go to pretty high numbers. The nail polish lasted a long time and he would touch it up as needed, but like wellington said don't place it between the scutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.