What is this guy?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
And they should take everything back because they gave you the wrong information. Read the care sheet that Avon listed, make a list, and don't let them tell you what you need. sometimes you can find some of the things any hardware store cheaper.

Lauramax

Thanks folks. Should've gone with a rescue as I planned. The woman will take this guy back but I know she'll let him "go" so can't take him there. :( my son is set on a land turtle. Will call the rescue and see if they'll swap for one that needs a home and they can hopefully help our guy. Stay tuned.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Okay. So read the sheet. We just spent 300 on a kit for a land turtle! Ug. How do I get him enough water in this set up? Picture above. Or can I pull him out to swim a couple days a week in a tub?
Talk to the manager of the pet store. We're these things 're commended to you. Take everything back. Check you receipt for return policy. But most pet stores are 30 -60 days, not for live animals they vary.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Thanks folks. Should've gone with a rescue as I planned. The woman will take this guy back but I know she'll let him "go" so can't take him there. :( my son is set on a land turtle. Will call the rescue and see if they'll swap for one that needs a home and they can hopefully help our guy. Stay tuned.
Did the turtle cost you anything? And if so how much? you want to become try people here. Not back to the person who did not treat it right. Good luck. I am so sure you and your son are frustrated.

Lauramax

Update: talked to a local rescue who has the perfect habitat for our guy (and a vet) and they will take him. They have a Mediterranean land turtle that needs a home and would love our tank and kids. More to come!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One trick you can try is getting a pan 18" long by 12 to 15" wide by about 4+" deep (a litter pan would work well) for water feature. See if shop would exchange unwanted items for an air pump and sponge filter to help keep water clean. Cypress mulch would make for a good substrate.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Update: talked to a local rescue who has the perfect habitat for our guy (and a vet) and they will take him. They have a Mediterranean land turtle that needs a home and would love our tank and kids. More to come!
Mediterranean land turtle ? I am not aware of such. Greek tortoise perhaps ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good. I'm glad it's working out for you. Be aware that your aquarium/vivarium really isn't big enough for a full grow tortoise of any species, especially if your Mediterranean tortoise turns out to be a Russian.

Lauramax

Will post pics when we get the new guy home. Out water guy is going to the rescue. It's at a vets house so he'll be in a water tank like he's supposed to be.

In terms of land tortoise. I have a 40 gallon long tank. That's not big enough? What's recommended? We don't mind upgrading at some point if we need to, we can use this tank for something else at some point. Just wanted land not water. (We already have a newt and fish etc)

Lauramax

You have all been so wonderful. Thank you. Will let you know what the vet says when we take this guy in. He's been sitting in his water all day poor guy.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Will post pics when we get the new guy home. Out water guy is going to the rescue. It's at a vets house so he'll be in a water tank like he's supposed to be.

In terms of land tortoise. I have a 40 gallon long tank. That's not big enough? What's recommended? We don't mind upgrading at some point if we need to, we can use this tank for something else at some point. Just wanted land not water. (We already have a newt and fish etc)
the minimum enclosure for most Mediterranean species is 4ft by 8ft.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi glad he's going to get the proper housing. No adult tortoise can be in a 40 gallon. They need a minimum of 4x8 feet. I personally would take everything back and start over. Read through care sheets and e closures for Russians and Hermanni .