What is this guy?

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
I think it's a turtle because of the feet, looks like it has dents and scratches on its shell. I don't know much about turtles, all i can tell is it's in bad shape.

Lauramax

Just got home with rescue tortoise - rescue said its a dark Greek tortoise. Will post pics tomorrow. And you guys were right - it was an Asian leaf turtle. Guess they're rare! We fell in love with her but they said they had a couple folks in mind that would love her and had the right environments. (It was a girl!). Our new tortoise is stinky but better adapted to our tank! Stay tuned for pics tomorrow.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Just got home with rescue tortoise - rescue said its a dark Greek tortoise. Will post pics tomorrow. And you guys were right - it was an Asian leaf turtle. Guess they're rare! We fell in love with her but they said they had a couple folks in mind that would love her and had the right environments. (It was a girl!). Our new tortoise is stinky but better adapted to our tank! Stay tuned for pics tomorrow.
if it is a greek he will need to be put in a 4ft by 8ft enclosure. where are you located?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It's suggested 4x8 but if you can provide a rescued tort a better life then it had then I would say that doesn't matter. I'm sure you will also give it an outside enclosure which I doubt it had.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm glad that the turtle will find a good home. Looking forward to pictures of your new tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
are you keep the tortoise in the same tank as the leaf turtle? the tortoise could get the diseases the leaf turtle had this could kill the tort.

The turtle was turned over to a group/rescue and has a home there...and so they have acquired a greek now...:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

So....you rehomed the leaf turtle to the rescue place right....then you brought a greek tortoise home and put it into the same tank as you had the leaf turtle??? Did you remove all of the stuff in the tank and clean/disinfect it in its entirety BEFORE you placed the greek tortoise in it???? I hope so for the health of the greek tortoise....

Lauramax

Hi there! We didn't - yikes. Will do tomorrow. Greek was vet checked at rescue and Asian leaf is getting vet checked now too so will have report soon on how she's doing. Yes. They will rehome the Asian leaf (couldn't take her back to the the place she was at, they would've let her go!) now we have a little 20 year old Greek (pics coming tomorrow, son asleep in room with tank). The Asian leaf I guess they were excited about and had a couple folks in mind so that's a relief! Had her less than 24 hours, but feel lucky despite the fire drill that we got her to a better place. Little Greek was rescued directly from rescue. Aside from being stinky (how do you fix that?) he's awesome!

Lauramax

Nervous now. Are you sure the turtle had diseases from the pictures or is that a guess? Don't want to go into my sons room and try to clean a tank at 1 am but will do it if the leaf had diseases. Greek is in tank now. Also, for the person that asked, we are in the Midwest so no, we won't have an outside enclosure now (it's below zero) but in summer we may.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can use a soft toothbrush and gently scrub his shell and legs with a little water. Soak him every couple days for a while. He really shouldn't stink after you get him set up in the right environment. And get him eating the right food. greeks and Russians are very similar and care so you can check out either care sheet.

Lauramax

Bedding smells like cedar but it's called reptibark by zoomed. Says reptiles can eat it. Think it's okay. The rescue said it was okay. They also gave me some hay to put in the cage.

A feeding question; I bought him dandelion, carrot greens, dark green kale today. And some edible flowers. In summer can they eat any greens from the yard, or just what's on the care guide? I have roses and hostas in my yard but also ash trees and a maple. Can they eat those leaves? Any flowers? I read no day lillies. Anything else that's okay?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Skip the hay, it is very dry into the tortoise and they probably won't eat it anyway. It can also mold which is not good for the tortoise. They can eat hostas and roses, I'm not sure about the others though. Check out the website called tortoise table.com. Some say that they are pretty conservative on that site but at least they will give you an idea also check out Tom's list of edible plants that is in the Russian section, also pertains to Greeks.The zoo med rep to bark is fine. You can also get blocks of coconut Coir that you add water to and it expands. Just avoid sand because it can cause impaction.

Lauramax

Sorry for all the questions! Should I pull the hay out? Also what about soaking him?