What is this guy?

Lauramax

Thanks! It's a 40 gallon long tank - rescue said it was perfect. It's not the 20 the lady had!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Heosemys grandis is the species. They're partially terrestrial. This species will need half water half land or a 60/40 split. They live in marshes in Indonesia/indochina. Turtle pellets are ok to feed, but will prefer fleshy fruits, boiled eggs, some greens, and protein(which can be utilized by pellets if eaten) try adding quite a bit of plant material as they prefer and live in rather heavily planted areas.

Lauramax

Thanks! Not sure. We can't fit that in our home. But he was in something smaller before so this is an upgrade. May build him something outside in summer for the brief warmth we get in Midwest.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Heosemys grandis is the species. They're partially terrestrial. This species will need half water half land or a 60/40 split. They live in marshes in Indonesia/indochina. Turtle pellets are ok to feed, but will prefer fleshy fruits, boiled eggs, some greens, and protein(which can be utilized by pellets if eaten) try adding quite a bit of plant material as they prefer and live in rather heavily planted areas.
i think they got rid of the turtle.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Please ignore what I said in my last post, I had not looked up above to see what your new critter was. Sorry about that.

Lauramax

Yes thanks all! Will do our best. Spent more on veggies for this lite dude than I do on our human family!

Lauramax

No weeds. But I bought dandelion at whole foods today. I can go pick weeds near my house but don't want to give him the wrong ones. Will check out website listed above!

Lauramax

Hey there. Have been feeding the Greek carrot tips (the greens) dandelion, dark kale, edible flowers, and pellets. He ignores everything but the dandelion which he eats right away. Is this normal? Trying to get him variety but he's not interested.

Has anyone put a live potted plant in the habitat? Is that okay? Like a basil or aloe plant for now from the garden center?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey there. Have been feeding the Greek carrot tips (the greens) dandelion, dark kale, edible flowers, and pellets. He ignores everything but the dandelion which he eats right away. Is this normal? Trying to get him variety but he's not interested.

Has anyone put a live potted plant in the habitat? Is that okay? Like a basil or aloe plant for now from the garden center?
can you just not feed him dandelion for a couple days so he can eat the other stuff? yea you can put live plants in your torts enclosure to eat. just when you get it from the garden place let don't feed it to your tort immediately let it sit for a month or so, because the garden place could have put chemicals on the plant.

Lauramax

Is that okay to do? Don't want to starve him! If I don't put dandelion in and he eats nothing, will he eventually come around? Do they all eat pellets or is it okay to just eat fresh plants? And how much should they be eating daily?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Love our new little guy and want to do the best for him.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Is that okay to do? Don't want to starve him! If I don't put dandelion in and he eats nothing, will he eventually come around? Do they all eat pellets or is it okay to just eat fresh plants? And how much should they be eating daily?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Love our new little guy and want to do the best for him.
DUDE WE LOVE QUESTIONS DONT SAY SORRY:mad:;)!
thats what i do when my torts just start eating one thing out of there food or you can cut up there food in really small pieces so they don't get to decide what to eat. fresh plants are better than pellets. i usaly give my torts a large handful of food and there is always some left overs. remember variety is very important.