What is this?

Ewalders1

Location (City and/or State)
Sierra mountains, ca
Hi, I received a new tortoise yesterday. The person just gave it to me because they're moving. When soaking it this morning, I noticed a scab? by it's tail. I tried rubbing it gently with a warm qtip but nothing came off. It's eating fine and acting normal.

1j%0JZClRbWFRugKN1cc7A.jpgwx5U9gohSQKqgECKLKaCeA.jpgf76mUjFMS1WX94RVnriu%A.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi, I received a new tortoise yesterday. The person just gave it to me because they are moving. When soaking it this morning, I noticed a scab? by it's tail. It's eating fine and acting normal?
Most likely the scar from the yolk sac. You'll need to post pictures for someone to say for sure though.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi, I received a new tortoise yesterday. The person just gave it to me because they're moving. When soaking it this morning, I noticed a scab? by it's tail. I tried rubbing it gently with a warm qtip but nothing came off. It's eating fine and acting normal.
I'm unable to see what your referring to in the photos.

Ewalders1

Sierra mountains, ca
hopefully these are better? let me know and I can take more

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_11e5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_11e5.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 97
  • fullsizeoutput_11e3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_11e3.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 94

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use a tooth brush to brush underneath, around the shell and clean claws try that. P. S permanent pen label the brush tortoise to avoid any other use! That area is very sensitive so be very careful and disinfect brush after each use. Do not go near face with brush as you do not want to transmit infections.

Ewalders1

Sierra mountains, ca
I use a tooth brush to brush underneath, around the shell and clean claws try that. P. S permanent pen label the brush tortoise to avoid any other use! That area is very sensitive so be very careful and disinfect brush after each use. Do not go near face with brush as you do not want to transmit infections.
Thank you! this is a great idea

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hard to tell from your photos, but it could be a prolapsed penis which has dried out to the point where it needs veterinary attention to prevent an infection and possible septicemia.

It might be a good idea to have a vet look at it to rule out such a problem and/or treat it as needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell what is going on under the tail.

Most people don't care for this species correctly and keep them much too dry. Here is the correct care info for you:

Ewalders1

Sierra mountains, ca
Hard to tell from your photos, but it could be a prolapsed penis which has dried out to the point where it needs veterinary attention to prevent an infection and possible septicemia.

It might be a good idea to have a vet look at it to rule out such a problem and/or treat it as needed.
thanks. Going to look into this.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry posting from my phone, having computer issues. Here’s better photos.
Big thanks to everyone who has commented.
This is definitely not the scar from the yolk sac, so do not become complacent by thinking that is what you are seeing. That scar would be in the center of the plastron, not coming out of the cloacal opening at the underside of the tail.