What substrate

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Hi at the moment I use top soil for my marginated tortoises table but don't like the look of it just wondering what everyone else uses? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Each of us has our own preference. You have to try them and see which you like better than the top soil. I really like the small grade orchid bark. I use it for all my indoor habitats. For the box turtles I mix top soil in with it, but for the others, desert tortoises, leopards, texas tortoises (all babies), I just use the small grade orchid bark. Here's what it looks like after it's been trampled for a month or so:

desert tortoise babies 12-07-14.jpg

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Each of us has out own preference. You have to try them and see which you like better than the top soil. I really like the small grade orchid bark. I use it for all my indoor habitats. For the box turtles I mix top soil in with it, but for the others, desert tortoises, leopards, texas tortoises (all babies), I just use the small grade orchid bark. Here's what it looks like after it's been trampled for a month or so:

View attachment 108531
What is the plant in the middle of this enclosure, Yvonne?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What is the plant in the middle of this enclosure, Yvonne?

That is one of the mother-in-law species. I think the name is Sansevieria trifasciata

pete55

I use coir too for hatchling then progress them to pens in greenhouse with natural earth dampened down. The coir is good too for humidity.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I like the ACE brand topsoil, mixed about 50/50 (eyeballing it, not actually measuring) with coco coir. Holds the humidity nicely, while not getting muddy. :)