What tortoise is right for me?

Teague

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside County, CA
Hello, I’m from Southern California (Riverside County) and when I was younger my grandpa had a tortoise and I loved to feed him. He was my favorite part of going to Arizona! Recently I was thinking about him and wanted to find out that if I end up wanting to get one after more research, which would be most appropriate for my climate and wants.
I’m looking for a bigger tortoise as the one my grandpa had was around 14-20 inches as well as being suitable for SoCal. The summers get to 115-120 degrees, and the winter nights 40-50 degrees. The average humidity is 45-60%. Any advice on what species are legal, pretty big, as well as suitable for the weather here.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. If you get a tortoise that large for outside, you will need a heated house. How much room do you have for an enclosure?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, I’m from Southern California (Riverside County) and when I was younger my grandpa had a tortoise and I loved to feed him. He was my favorite part of going to Arizona! Recently I was thinking about him and wanted to find out that if I end up wanting to get one after more research, which would be most appropriate for my climate and wants.
I’m looking for a bigger tortoise as the one my grandpa had was around 14-20 inches as well as being suitable for SoCal. The summers get to 115-120 degrees, and the winter nights 40-50 degrees. The average humidity is 45-60%. Any advice on what species are legal, pretty big, as well as suitable for the weather here.
Maybe you should look into getting a CA Desert Tortoise. The adults are about 15" and they are native to CA. You can adopt one virtually free of charge from a chapter of the CA Turtle and Tortoise Club: https://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Desert tortoise, sulcata, or South African leopard all meet your criterion.

The desert tortoise or the sulcata will need to burrow in summer and have a temperature controlled shelter the rest of the year. The leopard will not burrow and can just use the shelter year round.

Here are two examples:

Build your box and get it set up, tested, and adjusted BEFORE you get a tortoise!