What tortoise should i pair up with my red foot and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORTOISELOVER11

5 Year Member
What tortoise should i pair up with my red foot

i have a one year old male red footed tortoise and want to get another (different type tortoise) to be with him. Don't get me wrong i love red foots but i kinda want a change is there any other tort i can get to be in the same cage with him or should i just get another red foot:tort:

R114

5 Year Member
RE: What tortoise should i pair up with my red foot

TORTOISELOVER11 said:
i have a one year old male red footed tortoise and want to get another (different type tortoise) to be with him. Don't get me wrong i love red foots but i kinda want a change is there any other tort i can get to be in the same cage with him or should i just get another red foot:tort:

Hello, I am new to this forum, but from what I've read it is best not to mix different types of torts. I think you may be able to get a yellow foot or cherry headed red foot to go with him but I'm not 100% sure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: names

What kind is she? Tell us about her personality. A picture would help too.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ

Welcome to the forums. 2 different species dont work out most of the time. Tortoises dont need friends since they are solitary but if you would like get another red foot but im not sure what gender.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
RE: names

Welcome!
What kind of tort do you have?
Can you post a picture?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Very bad to keep two species together. Like already said they don't need nor want a buddy. So, unless you have room to house the two species in separate enclosures, stick with the one you have.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Ditto.
Mixing species is considered a bozo no no.
😂

You can go under "search" and put in "mixing species"
This will give you the reasons for the concern

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
TORTOISELOVER11 said:
how do i get my tort to eat out of my hand

I've never had an issue with this, if your tort is hungry just hold some greens in front of it and they will eat it from you! haha

PS No on the mixing species... just get another redfoot! :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
never mix any species of tortoise. even the same species do better alone. as for hand feeding, you must be careful they do not bite your hand. try feeding them their favorite food or when you first feed them offer it from your hand.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Feeding from hand is simple feed if you feed same time everyday, your tort should be expecting food and if you hold it in your hand keep your hand still then your tort should come and feed it.

As for an other tort even if you are going to get an other red foot, cheery head, or yellow foot. Ask yourself this question.

Can you afford or do you have all the lighting/heating and housing supplys if they don't get along?

I'f you said no then don't do it. Here is a great thread for pairs

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-34837.html

Take your time to read it

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Redfoots, contrary to belief, are NOT solitary animals. They are in fact very social, in captivity, and actually in the wild, to an extent, also. Who are we to know? They could have complex social patterns and families........(Uh-oh. I'm one of those people with an unrealistic view of the wild :))
In my herd, certain torts have a liking for certain others. My first pair that was kept "just the two of them" for several years always sleep next to each other, every night, and commonly do the "nose-rub". I liken it to a hug :). In my opinion, it does no harm to have multiple torts (obviously the species which males are more dominant are excluded), and in some cases, its beneficial. I've had hatchlings before with eating problems when kept solitary....Paired up with some others, they begin to eat within a day or two. They learn from each other.
Another red foot is your only option. Or a yellow-foot. Due to over-lapping ranges in the wild, I see no harm in pairing these species; others, there is significant risk. However, it must be noted that a yellow-foot can grow almost double the size of a yellow foot, and in ten years you may have a problem....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, TORTOISELOVER11!

After you've had your tortoise for a while and it becomes comfortable and familiar with you it will take food from you.

I'm getting the sense that you are either a youngster or very new to tortoises (I don't mean to offend). It is not good for one with no experience to experiment with mixing species. It may end up with one or the other of the tortoises dead.

TORTOISELOVER11

5 Year Member
I WANT A RED FOOT

does anyone know where i could get a yearling red foot tort for cheap
please no: turtle source.com(i love turtle source but they're a bit pricey),tortoiseshack.com,or generalexotic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.