What was your first tortoise?

hollygaucas

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I have a Russian tortoise which is now 8 months. I have had Pickle for about 6 months. He is my first ever tortoise, and honestly, probably my last. I got Pickle from a local pet shop. I unfortunately didn’t get the right advice about my tortoise care and started raising him wrongly until I discovered this forum that has taught me so much! Now Pickle is a very happy boy with his new home and new family!

IMG_1527809392.826342.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
IMG_3270.PNG My first was Tatum 2011 leopard. He's in the avatar. I still have him and will till I die. I don't have any current pics on my phone. He's also a big Cubs fan lol. I enlarged the pic.
I had a box and a couple RES before him, but he was the first tortoise and more a pet then the others were.

Emptysea

Arizona
I’m a super new. We actually prepaid for a Hermann from Chris Leone and should be getting our little one in July. We decided as a family a tortoise would be fabulous so we got one. We are so so excited!! I really want a Sulcata but with us moving every three years, we cannot house such a large tortoise.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I’m a super new. We actually prepaid for a Hermann from Chris Leone and should be getting our little one in July. We decided as a family a tortoise would be fabulous so we got one. We are so so excited!! I really want a Sulcata but with us moving every three years, we cannot house such a large tortoise.
You came to the right place, been here 3 months and learned a lot. Scooter says hello[emoji23]20180531_220805.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
What species is Rue? Probably one of the most beautiful tort I have seen so far. Just stunning. I'm assuming the larger one is also Rue?
Rue, Kang, Clark and Harry are all Bowsprits. And thank you very much. I will tell Rue and the gang that you said so.;) Rue is 164g, Kang is 144g, Clark is 104g and Harry is 86g at their last weigh in which was on Thursday. Oh I forgot to Say Happy Hatch day yesterday to Rue. She is officially now a year old.
Edit:
In the pictures I posted The first one is Rue on the day I found her and the second one is a recent pic of her, practicing her balley moves.

hollygaucas

Manchester
I have to know...how did he get the name Pickle? I love it!

His greenish colour helped out a lot in picking his name, but the main idea was because I was in a ‘pickle’ in trying to find a name for him and I just thought it was such a cute name. I also loved the idea of naming him a sort of food, so I said Pickle as a joke. And it kinda stuck. Now he’s the cutest little tort ever, still smaller than my hand.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My first, and only, tortoise is Joe a male Testudo graeca graeca (Greek). He came as part of the package with my (now) husband back in the early 1980s. My husband got Joe in 1970 as a 7th birthday present.

IMG_3500.jpg

So much personality in 3.3kg (7lb) of shell. Sadly Joe got a tumour and was put to sleep last year. We miss him dreadfully, but aren’t ready to fill the tortoise shaped hole in our lives just yet.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
My first, and only, tortoise is Joe a male Testudo graeca graeca (Greek). He came as part of the package with my (now) husband back in the early 1980s. My husband got Joe in 1970 as a 7th birthday present.

View attachment 240488

So much personality in 3.3kg (7lb) of shell. Sadly Joe got a tumour and was put to sleep last year. We miss him dreadfully, but aren’t ready to fill the tortoise shaped hole in our lives just yet.
I lost my dad last month to lung cancer, he had tumor that spread from lung to his head. F%@K CANCER, pisses me off to see it effect even torts. One day we'll make cancer go extinct!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 240488

Well Joe is a tuff act to follow. It will need to be a really special tortoise to fill the space that he left.:D

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
His greenish colour helped out a lot in picking his name, but the main idea was because I was in a ‘pickle’ in trying to find a name for him and I just thought it was such a cute name. I also loved the idea of naming him a sort of food, so I said Pickle as a joke. And it kinda stuck. Now he’s the cutest little tort ever, still smaller than my hand.
Maybe you could post a color picture of him?