What was your first tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My first tortoise was actually a turtle. A box turtle in 1979. Tommy Turtle.
IMG_8180.JPG

Several friends also had Desert Tortoises in their back yards back then. Didn't start taking care of tortoises until I went to work in the local pet shop in 1986.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My first tortoises were Yellow, Whitey and Blue. I came home to find them in my garden one day. I had no idea where they xane from or what type they were. I pretty much left them alone only making sure that I put out somw food and water for them. And then little Rue hatched in my garden last year 31/05/2017. And it was then that I truely became interested in them and their care. I joined TFO in Oct 2017 as a result and have never looked back.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My first tortoises were Yellow, Whitey and Blue. I came home to find them in my garden one day. I had no idea where they came from or what type they were. I pretty much left them alone only making sure that I put out some food and water for them. And then little Rue hatched in my garden last year 31/05/2017. And it was then that I truely became interested in them and their care. I joined TFO in Oct 2017 as a result and have never looked back.
Forgot to post a pic. This is Rue.IMG-20170531-WA0000.jpeg20180521_185103.jpeg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
My current baby

IMG_1674.jpg

I got him from a pet store, he kept all wrong there so I felt like it was almost a rescue. I have literally learnt everything I know from here.

We also had 2 Greeks in our house about 10 years ago that were around 60 years old, Tilly and Tom, they lived together all of their lives, they would come to the kitchen door every morning for food. I knew nothing about tortoises, they were my mums from her childhood. Both mainly ate lettuce, no kind of supplements in any way. Yet both lived long and appeared healthy.

Sadly both of them were killed by rats during hibernation.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
My first tortoise was a Home's hingeback that my parents purchased for me in high school about 25 years ago. At that time most tortoises available in my area were imported and loaded with parasites. I really didn't know the tropical requirements of this tortoise and unfortunately it didn't last very long! A few years later I purchased a well established western hingeback, K. Nogueyi, which I've had for over 20 years! I added another female a few years later and I am looking for a male to match with these females.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.JPG
    IMG_4713.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 43

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
My first tortoise was my Russian, I named him Tortington but have pretty much called him Torty ever since. I got him from a breeder in Ontario and had him shipped to me in BC which was pretty scary as I was terrified I was going to open the box and find him unwell. I still have him, he was 2 months when I got him and is now 6 years old. Here he is in a picture with my second tort, a 3 year old Hermanns named lil'Tort who I adopted last year and my third tort Tiny who I got last fall (they were very quickly put in position for the pic, otherwise they are all housed separately).

Attachments

• torts.png
    torts.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 45

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
Shhhh!
One of these people might buy my house.
Florida is a paradise!!
If I’m following this correctly, your house actually comes with five H’s. The aforementioned Heat, Humidity, and Hurricanes, plus the elusive HH (Hidden Herps), a secret snake and stealth-mode Redfoot hatchlings. There may be many more HH. No one can say for sure....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If I’m following this correctly, your house actually comes with five H’s. The aforementioned Heat, Humidity, and Hurricanes, plus the elusive HH (Hidden Herps), a secret snake and stealth-mode Redfoot hatchlings. There may be many more HH. No one can say for sure....
The hidden snake moved out when I re did my fish ponds.

Sammmy

Mckinney TX
View attachment 239904 What was your first tortoise?
How did you get it?
Do you still have it?
How long did you have/ have you had it?

My first tortoise was a hatchling sulcata that a friend found walking down the road. I do still have her and have had her for 15 years.

Would love to hear others stories!
Hey I’m new to this forum, actually this is my first time posting! My first tortoise was a male russian tortoise, who I named Daniel, I got him three years ago from a reptile shop. I still have the little guy and love spending time with him every day! I love making him special salads and enriching his life! He loves being in his outdoor enclosure I built this winter (I’m still adding on). I hope I’ll have him for the rest of my life! Love that little guy!:D:)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hey I’m new to this forum, actually this is my first time posting! My first tortoise was a male russian tortoise, who I named Daniel, I got him three years ago from a reptile shop. I still have the little guy and love spending time with him every day! I love making him special salads and enriching his life! He loves being in his outdoor enclosure I built this winter (I’m still adding on). I hope I’ll have him for the rest of my life! Love that little guy!:D:)
Welcome to TFO, Sammy! You've come to the best place to learn and brag about your boy!

C-Turtle

Lodi, CA
My first tortoise is a Cherry Head. “She” doesn’t have a name yet, and I just got her today. She came from Back Water Reptiles. Obviously I still have her.

I am fairly pleased with her setup, thoughD805513C-E4CD-456D-8611-06BB54E31610.jpeg 1A366512-33CE-40EE-8EC7-E4EC43AF8C55.jpeg 3041331A-969F-4971-8E9B-2F824317E7E7.jpeg 2EC83B33-8E2E-41FD-9125-FA67734CC63D.jpeg 3970A285-91AB-4C2D-A945-39DF9D96B988.jpeg B73889C6-7D32-4A9E-9CD8-A2484EA708B5.png this is her temporary enclosure. I plan to move her to something bigger in the next 3 - 5 years. I have the humidity holding at 85%, and the temperature gradient seems okay with the left side of the tank holding around 80F and the right side around 88F. I am using a thermostat to keep the temperature levels right. Please let me know if anybody has ideas or suggestions for us!

Thanks!
-c

View attachment 239904 What was your first tortoise?
How did you get it?
Do you still have it?
How long did you have/ have you had it?

My first tortoise was a hatchling sulcata that a friend found walking down the road. I do still have her and have had her for 15 years.

Would love to hear others stories!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't count the several 'found' tortoises we had in the '60s, because we just found them walking around our neighborhood and tossed them into the backyard - not bothering to find their owners, or to try to learn anything about them. So I'll count Mi-Shell as my first tortoise.

When my son's rottweiler pup wouldn't leave the tortoise alone my son asked me if I would take the tortoise (and a few box turtles). Mi-Shell is a desert tortoise. This was before the internet. I joined a couple clubs, clubs that put out a monthly newsletter, and that was the start of my search for tortoise knowledge.

Incidentally, I still have Mi-Shell. I estimate she's about 70 or 80 years old.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My first tortoise was my Russian, I named him Tortington but have pretty much called him Torty ever since. I got him from a breeder in Ontario and had him shipped to me in BC which was pretty scary as I was terrified I was going to open the box and find him unwell. I still have him, he was 2 months when I got him and is now 6 years old. Here he is in a picture with my second tort, a 3 year old Hermanns named lil'Tort who I adopted last year and my third tort Tiny who I got last fall (they were very quickly put in position for the pic, otherwise they are all housed separately).

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a beautiful Russian!