what's this?

Michaelsco

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi guys,

I just got a cherry head tortoise and I see some white spots on its scutes and the bottom of the tortoise seems odd could you guys tell me what this could be? 20170830_122015.jpg 20170830_122031.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
The white spots may be the beginning of marbling which is no big deal, but his plastron does look weird. Is that a crack on the left?

Michaelsco

Florida
The white spots may be the beginning of marbling which is no big deal, but his plastron does look weird. Is that a crack on the left?
it looks like it but when I feel it and keep looking at it, it looks like it's closed its really hard to tell. I asked the guy i got him (don't know the gender yet ) from he said that's how it is and it might flatten out when he grows

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I can't see anything abnormal, but others with better eyesight may correct me.
Looks like standard growth to me, as you suspect they can look really bumpy and odd underneath to start, but it should even out.
Just make sure he's kept warm, humid and has his soaks, and he should be fine.
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Looks like standard growth to me, as you suspect they can look really bumpy and odd underneath to start, but it should even out.
Thank you Adam.

Michaelsco

Florida

so it's normal for young tortioses to have a odd underneath when they are growing? and thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help, I'm a new tortoise owner and its a little scary to see this not knowing what this could be. thank you again!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
so it's normal for young tortioses to have a odd underneath when they are growing? and thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help, I'm a new tortoise owner and its a little scary to see this not knowing what this could be. thank you again!
I should point out that I don't keep this species so my evaluation is based only on the photographs I have seen on this forum and elsewhere.
And on my shocking eyesight.
But yes, they often look very odd underneath to begin, and it usually seems to smooth out.
Hopefully, someone with more in depth personal experience will be along shortly. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You needn't worry. You'll hopefully get all the help you need, here.

Michaelsco

Florida
I should point out that I don't keep this species so my evaluation is based only on the photographs I have seen on this forum and elsewhere.
And on my shocking eyesight.
But yes, they often look very odd underneath to begin, and it usually seems to smooth out.
Hopefully, someone with more in depth personal experience will be along shortly. :)

thank you again because it's reassuring to hear that he should be okay!