Whats wrong with my tortoise

Xoxjadexox

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi all I'm knew here, this is my first tortoise and I'm worried about him. I let him out yesterday and as I was busy doing house work he managed to go missing. I'm not sure if he was managed to get under the couch but we couldn't find him anywhere. I came down stairs today to find him on his back. I quickly picked him up and noticed he has a red pile like limp growing out of his bum. I initially thought it was a big pooh so tried to clean it once I got the pooh off and some hair as I have a cat and he may of swallowed some in his rood I'm guessing it looks abit like a hemorrhoid its see through aswel seems like a blister filled with liquid I've cleaned it up and hes acting normal again can anyone guess what it is?

15967337752984177515897121021203.jpg15967338970917866556410196192248.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all I'm knew here, this is my first tortoise and I'm worried about him. I let him out yesterday and as I was busy doing house work he managed to go missing. I'm not sure if he was managed to get under the couch but we couldn't find him anywhere. I came down stairs today to find him on his back. I quickly picked him up and noticed he has a red pile like limp growing out of his bum. I initially thought it was a big pooh so tried to clean it once I got the pooh off and some hair as I have a cat and he may of swallowed some in his rood I'm guessing it looks abit like a hemorrhoid its see through aswel seems like a blister filled with liquid I've cleaned it up and hes acting normal again can anyone guess what it is?
Can't see the photos well enough to be sure, but it could very well be a penis.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Um, you have a cat. I have eight.
If any of my turtles got loose, My Cat-mittee would use them as a hockey puck in the kitchen. Actually, that's probably one of the better-case scenarios that comes to mind.

Xoxjadexox

Durham
Um, you have a cat. I have eight.
If any of my turtles got loose, My Cat-mittee would use them as a hockey puck in the kitchen. Actually, that's probably one of the better-case scenarios that comes to mind.
Yer we have a cat but the cat gets put in another room when the tortoise comes out

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
There's an awful lot that a tortoise roaming the floor unattended (and missing) can get into... Aside from ingestion hazards like cat hair, occasional kitty barf, and (clumpable) kitty litter and other material that might get knocked out of a feline toilet. The floor looks much more disconcerting for a tortoise keeper when you get down on your hands and knees and take a good, long look at things from tortoise height. Maybe that will provide some clues to what might have happened.

As for how to respond to the immediate health issue...
Can you post some more detailed photos for our experts to look at?

Xoxjadexox

Durham
There's an awful lot that a tortoise roaming the floor unattended (and missing) can get into... Aside from ingestion hazards like cat hair, occasional kitty barf, and (clumpable) kitty litter and other material that might get knocked out of a feline toilet. The floor looks much more disconcerting for a tortoise keeper when you get down on your hands and knees and take a good, long look at things from tortoise height. Maybe that will provide some clues to what might have happened.

As for how to respond to the immediate health issue...
Can you post some more detailed photos for our experts to look at?
Hi thanks for your reply I understand what your saying how ever we do Hoover throughout before he goes on the ground just feel like he should have abit of freedom from his table now and then. An update though he is doing well the mysterious red lump has gone now and hes eating and drinking now I will keep an eye on him and maybe make a den for him to explore something he cant escape from whilst on the ground.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Hi thanks for your reply I understand what your saying how ever we do Hoover throughout before he goes on the ground just feel like he should have abit of freedom from his table now and then. An update though he is doing well the mysterious red lump has gone now and hes eating and drinking now I will keep an eye on him and maybe make a den for him to explore something he cant escape from whilst on the ground.
I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Please keep him safely contained. We do worry. One of our members recently had a necropsy done on a tortoise and found out it died from something as simple as a twist tie that had been in the bag of mulch being used.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Best to keep them in a proper tortoise enclosure with correct heat and light food and water. If you have space outside an outdoor enclose with a cover can be beneficial on occasional warm days. Roaming around the room and carpet is not good they tend to make messes everywhere and want to burrow so they will head for dark corners that could be out of hoovers reach.